Cable adjustment??

felucca84

Recruit
Yes Lads,wonder can any one help me with this one,i have a 89 cobra 2.3L,as i move the lever forward i hear the rpm drop off(which it should) but the rpm comes back up before it goes into gear,i hear the rpm come back up then i hear the gear meeting,(with a clunk)its like its just to late going into gear,its the same going astern,does the shif cable need to be adjusted or its something more serious??? Looking forward to hearing from yous!!!!:D

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Cable adjustment??

As far as I know the RPM should not drop off when shifting into gear. The Electronic Shift Assist (ESA) should engage only when there is load on the propeller, i.e. when shifting out of gear.
It is normal to hear a clunk when shifting into gear.

If your ESA is activating when shifting into gear you have a problem; possibly a faulty transom shift cable. Be sure you have the newer replacement shift cable (red color) and not the older recalled shift cable (black color).

felucca84

Recruit

Thanks for the reply,i was talking to an engineer and he said mayb im just too slow on the lever,he said soon as the rpm drop of push the lever forward quicker,i was only gently pushin it forward,and as u said the the clunk noise is normal,so wil lunch her now after a while as its a lovely day ere in Ireland.... Happy boating!!!

felucca84

Recruit

Thanks read that,it was helpful,now to get my hands on a manual.....

RIDEPATE

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not sure about your 89. My 93 has an adjustment on the shifter-plate, top of the motor, (red-cable) a slot with a - and a + on it. Mine did the same thing. I moved the adjuster towards the (+) problem gone.