water pumping out wrong place

MIKEY*2007

Petty Officer 2nd Class
After great help on here to get my 78 85 hp running (thanks guys) noticed water coming out every where of front exhurst cover with 4 philips srews just below steering arm then noticed that no water coming out of the two outlets on back of housing 2 of these srews are missing is this the cause or is it more sinister water is warm so I know it has been though the motor it seems to come out between engine and housing so I shut it down not knowing if would overheat have smoke coming out of rear outlets but no water so something is a miss .Guy I bought it off told me he removed themastacs for quick warm ups is this also safe has good flow out pee hose from head

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: water pumping out wrong place

Your problem description is a little hard to follow. Would be helpful if you were able to post a picture of the leak area. It is possible you may be describing a leak at the powerhead base gasket, where the powerhead mounts to the midsection. It's common for them to fail-they can cause water and exhaust leaks. That engine should flow some water out of the two exhaust relief ports at the top rear of the midsection. I would recommend that you reinstall the thermostats. That engine runs best with them. Without them the block runs cold: you have poor combustion and poor fuel economy. You also run the risk of hot spots at the top of the powerhead.

MIKEY*2007

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the advice I'll get a pic up tomorow as it is dark here at the moment inside the engine base is dry the cover is a semi circular shape directly under the steering arm where it conects to the motor and water is coming out from above and though the cover screw holes that are missing and I'll definately replace the themostats the leak here near my finger and up the top of cover is quite substancial and no water comes out exhurst port holes

Attachments

• motor 003.jpg
    motor 003.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 0
  • motor 001.jpg
    motor 001.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 0
  • motor 002.jpg
    motor 002.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 0

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Hard to assess where the leak is coming from. Pls check one thing. Check to see if the model number on the plate on the transom bracket matches the model stampings on the small core plug on the top of the block. (that core plug is about the size of a quarter.)

MIKEY*2007

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hard to assess where the leak is coming from. Pls check one thing. Check to see if the model number on the plate on the transom bracket matches the model stampings on the small core plug on the top of the block. (that core plug is about the size of a quarter.)
IT is a 200840R 85 hp 1978

MIKEY*2007

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sorry for late reply I did not see your reply as for the model I can't find a welsh plug or number for the life of me as the number on the transom tagis 78 could this be a 79 motor on a 78 housing as the control box is a 79 even so would there be a big differance between gaskets

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

model identification 2.jpgThe reason I am asking so many questions is that you may have some mismatched parts on that engine. The serial number you provided in the post prior 200840r is for a 1978 200 hp Evinrude. That just does not add up. If serial tag is attached to the transom bracket, the lower part of the engine is for a V6 powerhead, not a V4. If it is an Evinrude lower, there should be dark blue paint somewhere under that white color. Johnsons in the 78 range were all a white color, including the block. Your block is that green color, which was found on Johnson engines 1976 and older. I've attached a picture of the welsh plug on the top of your block. Look for it and post the numbers off of that plug. It is probably painted over, but it is there and may help unravel your mystery.
The issue may be that the base of the powerhead does not match the exhaust adapter on the top of the midsection.

MIKEY*2007

Petty Officer 2nd Class

a guy on here said that for that model they where the same model number for 85 to 200 hp

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The factory model numbers for 1978 85 hp Johnson are: 85L78C, 85TXLR78C, 85ETLR78C. See if any numbers like that appear on the top of your powerhead, as in the picture above.

MIKEY*2007

Petty Officer 2nd Class

at last!!!! it's a 77 85hp on a 78 200840R 200 hp leg I took the serial numbers off the heads 318332d on starboard and 318333 portside and they match a 77 85 hp powerhead so you were right about the mismatch so I think I got the wrong gasket it is a 342513 powerhead to adapter

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

I don't think it's that easy. The exhaust adapters are different for a V6 engine vs a V4 engine. They are not the same part number, and the two engines use different base gasket part numbers. The parts look very close visually, but you may not get them to work. I'd do a very close examination to compare the exact differences between the two mating surfaces between the exhaust adapter and the underside of the powerhead. Esp compare the area for the exhaust and the area for the flow water from the pump.

Auxlarry

Petty Officer 1st Class

I once replaced the powerhead to midsection gasket and somehow got it flipped the wrong way and had water coming out of the same areas you are talking about. Agree with emdsapmgr! If this gasket is installed wrong the water port from the pump is not sealed.

MIKEY*2007

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well would you know what serial # gasket it is or will no gasket fit it at all,as merchanic told me that the motor will run fine with out it as it has no detremental effect to the motor but I think the gasket must otherwise why would it be there in the first place,thanks Mike

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

I wouldn't run the engine without a base gasket between the powerhead and exhaust adapter. You run the risk of leaking cooling water and exhaust fumes into the inside of the cowling.