Water Pump Problem 15hp Johnson---

shane52501

Cadet
I have 1975 15hp Johnson, and I am having trouble getting it to pump water. I have checked the water pump and changed the thermostat, and it is still not pumping water. I have also blown air thorugh the system and nothing seems to be clogged. I checked the lower end and there is no water mixing with the grease, but I do have white foam coming out of the through hub exaust (prop), that appears to be water and oil mix. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Big flop

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Water Pump Problem 15hp Johnson---

Were you blowing the air up the water tube?
Sounds like some water is going thru if
you see it coming out prop hub?
Is it a salt water motor?
I've seen the top water tube grommet
swollen shut from salt.
Make sure all the water pump parts are
in place. Gaskets, tube grommet.
Are you running it on a flusher?

shane52501

Cadet

Yeah I blew air through the tube and through where the thermostat goes just to make sure I had a clear opening everywhere, and air was coming out. It has not been in salt water that I know of, and when I took it apart everything seemed to be in place and go together good. And whatever water came out the prop was not enough to notice to while it was running, but when I shut it off I noticed it had gummed up in the prop. I have run it in both a tank, and with the muffs on. I work on motors here and there,but this one has me stumped.

raczekp1

Lieutenant

hm, instead compresed air you should use garden hose atached to water pump pipe(inner midsection).
i had locked upper water pipe gromet, and water hose at ful blast and now ater at the outlet.

kbait

Commander

That motor doesn't have a telltale 'pee stream'. When the thermostat opens after warming for 30 seconds or so, some mist should come out w/exhaust through the 1/4" hole above the waterline in back of the motor. If you get it to mist when it warms, you're likely good. Test in a barrel, and you should be able to keep your finger on the spark plug base for a couple seconds before it becomes uncomfortable (around 140 degrees).. Test at low idle. Good luck!