Laminate on top of existing floor?

elwopo

Seaman
1996 Bayliner 1700 Capri. Found soft spots at the top corners of the ski locker. Maybe 1 foot square at most. Since there's going to be work involved, and the seats are rotted, I got to wondering.
Once the carpet is ripped up can't I remove the existing seat bases, resin around the small rotted sections at the corners of the ski locker, and just put new 1/2" marine plywood on top of the entire floor? Then I'd just have to put in new carpet and seats.

Has anyone used Wise or similar brand lounge seats in this kind of boat? The original Bayliner bases appear to be about 4" tall.....but all the lounge seats I can find come with a 10" base. Seems like they'd be too tall.
I don't want to use the existing bases and just get Bayliner seats because if it gets a little choppy.....the seats collapse on their own. Not sure if it's the plastic rail in the bases or the seats themselves. Not good when you're driving and sitting on top of the seat backs.

Opinions?

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Laminate on top of existing floor?

Well the seats are no biggy, can be repaired or replaced easily.

But, do not cover up rotten wood, or glass over it, you're asking for trouble. If the deck is rotten there is a good chance it's support is rotten as well.

If you're going to cut out a rotten part of the deck, you'll be able to inspect the wood structure underneath.

Do a seach on decks and stringers.....tons and tons of great information on the subject.

Tolyn

Seaman

Greetings!

I agree with Cadwelder. This sounds eerily familiar to how I ended up with the mess I have currently. Previous owner (or maybe previous-previous owner) more or less did what you are suggesting and covered up with 1/2" and re-carpeted. Not good.

After investigating a loose seat mount I figured I could just go one step further and put in new deck plywood. Medium-ish story short...the entire structure underneath including the transom was (very wet and rotted) toast.

Do yourself a favor and investigate thoroughly so you are sure your boat is safe when you go out.

Respectfully,
-T

elwopo

Seaman

Here's what I found when I took out the carpet. Everything else looks good...but this.....
IMG_20110428_073409.jpg

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Here's what I found when I took out the carpet. Everything else looks good...but this]

When you say "everything else" what exactly are you referring too? You've inspected the stringers and the rest of the decking?