Cheaper bolts and fasteners, can it be done?

DamianJP

Chief Petty Officer
Hello

In my search of saving money on this 'project' I was looking to find bolts,washers, nuts ect. cheaper than the price of the outboard places were charging. Like up to $2 to $3 per bolt and such.

So I went to my local fastener place called 'Broward Bolt'. Told him the deal and that it was for an outboard and such. He pretty much found everything exact except the exhaut housing 'bellow' connected to the adapter plate, he had the bolts alittle longer which will work because there is enough room in there.

I got ..

8 powerhead bolts
15 Exhaust bolts
6 Adapter plate to exhaust housing bolts
4 bolts and washers set for the 4 corners of the lower cowling
1 Aft nut

And a couple other stuff for $5 !!!

The bolts I got from them had the same 3 marks on the head like the ones from Evinrude and the ones that were in the engine. Like on this website for reference...
http://www.unified-eng.com/scitech/bolt/boltmarks.html

Was this a good find or a bust??

DamianJP

Re: Cheaper bolts and fasteners, can it be done?

Goto www.boltdepot.com, they carry an awesome line of S.S fastners and grade 8 stuff. They are local to me so I always pick my orders up at their store. They are very affordable.

Hope this helps,
Chris

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I am fortunate to have a great source of SS fastener's here locally to me. I probably know the layout of the SS shelves as well as the store clerk does.

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

What's the difference between marine grade ss and hardware grade? Different alloys? 316 verses???

Or is it all the same?

Mas

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander

I'd say if you are on fresh water, you shouldn't have any issues. Salt water, different ball game.

DamianJP

Chief Petty Officer

The guy said everything was stainless steel. I told him it was an outboard and the fresh/salt water abuse the bolts will get.

So if eveything is S.S. Im good to go?

But looking at the postes you guys say Grade 8. But the stock bolts that came out of the engine almost had the 3 line markings on the head, indicating that they are grade 5?

EDIT: Opon further investigation on the bolt depot, im "learning" that I need Stainless 18-8 grade stuff. Im gonna ask the guy at the place I got this stuff if they have 18-8 stuff, if not ILl drop bolt depot a ring. Thank you all for the help, and ChrisAunchman for the BOLT DEPOT link.

DamianJP

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

You may want to talk to a experienced "Schooled" boat mechanic.

Stainless steel and aluminum do not agree with each other. Galvanic action [Corrosion] is set up especially if a SS bolt is used in a high temperature area. SS bolts are used on lower units because it was the best choice of two evils for machinery run in submerged conditions.
Do not use anti seize on bolts placed into aluminum. Dunk the bolt threads in motor oil before installation.

Have you ever tried to drill out a SS bolt that is broke off in aluminum? "Not fun at all"
They use carbon steel in power heads for reasons.

DamianJP

Chief Petty Officer

Good point Cofe

I never thought about what type of metal it was going into. Plus the heat factor. I must admit that when ever I think of saltwater you think of using stainless, but then you have other factors that play a role.

Thank you for you info, priceless.

Now if I could pick your brain apart alittle more, what the reason behind no never seize in aluminium?

Thanks again,
DamianJP

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

Anti seize and marine aluminum is the next best thing to welding. Normal anti seize contains nickle, or copper. Both of these will cause a bond between the bolt material and aluminum(Galling).
If you want to use a Anti Seize on these fasteners, use Moly Anti Seize. It contains no metal. There is also a special Anti Seize just for stainless steel.
These are tidbits I learned at a Loctite seminar.
My OEM manual for my outboard says to use oil.

DamianJP

Chief Petty Officer

Awesome info, and I learned alot. Thank you for passing the info along to us. I have permatex anti seize , my luck it has the 'metal'. Gonna grab some moly for my "arsenal", but I'll problly do the oil application.

Again Thank You,
DamianJP

DamianJP

Chief Petty Officer

I just went to check my permatex anti seize.

There are diffrent kinds, I have the 133K / Item # 80078.

Says it contains

Mineral Oil , Petroleum Distillates , Calcuim Oxide , Aluminum , Graphite
Good up to 1600F Degrees Spark plug/oxygen sensor Engine head bolts Exhaust manifold bolts

Am I good to use this kind of anti seize in this application of my 1977 Envinrude?

DamianJP

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens

Teflon pipe thread tape , teflon pipe dope paste good antiseize , tighten to oiled ,greased bolt specs ,good for high temps , helps isolate , insulate galvonic voltage from disimular metals and stray currents that corrode parts .

edfishing2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am curious about if anyone has made a list of sizes and bolt pitch (1/4-28 x 1-3/4) to match part numbers during disassembly. I wish I had. I think the 18-8 SS is common and 304 and 316 are more expensive. Tractor Supply is good source for grade 8 steel bolts sold by weight.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Non hardening Permatex or gasket cement works fine. Either will allow disassembly at a later date. I've used both for water pump fasteners for many years.