Problems with Volvo D3-160

Status
Not open for further replies.

speeence

Cadet
Hi there, hoping someone may have some insight for me. Just bought a boat with twin Volvo D3-160's. To be honest, all my previous experience has been with gas engines, so not very familiar with diesels. The problem we are having is that one of the engines will not hold an rpm. We give the boat gas, and the rpms jump aound all over the place. 2000 - 800 - 1400 - 2200 etc etc. The boost pressure on this engine is also a fraction of the other engine. No black smoke. Checked fuel supply and no issues, replaced all filters etc. We have had an electrical error pop up on the guages but it only shows up occasionally, not consistantly. Just don't know where to go from here. Any ideas?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Problems with Volvo D3-160

Other than checking all wiring connections for security and corrosion, there isn't much you can do but take it to a Volvo dealer. Without the Vodia diagnostic tool, you stand little chance of finding the problem.

wellcraft19

Petty Officer 1st Class

Fine engines, wish we'd see more of them over here state side, but sad to hear you have issues. Those engines are considered "rock solid" back in Sweden.

Maybe a bit far fetched, but it sounds like it is most likely issues with the electronics. Since you have two, you "could" swap and run selected parts from the "properly" running engine, on the one with issues. Heck, if you are luckly, you might be able to re-connect the entire harness.

Just an idea...

adeneo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Those engines are considered "rock solid" back in Sweden.

Well, being "back in Sweden", I have not really heard that one, here the D3 is known for numerous problems, and it was completely redesigned a few years back because it basicly sucked, they claim the new is model is better though, to early to tell, but the old model had serious problems with the injectors among other things, but i agree with Don, not much one can do without hooking up a Vodia.

wellcraft19

Petty Officer 1st Class

I stand corrected!

Have not gotten that feedback at all (from the ones I know, 3-4 owners, they might also have newer installs).
Sorry to hear that thought and I guess I will need to keep my guard up if I see one of these diesels passing by "my way" (general comment: sad that we see so few diesels up here in general - unless you get up in the 35'-40' vessel size).

shrip1

Cadet

Speeence did you solve the run problam yet? I had a D4 with a simular simptom, rpms jumping all over the place- try to give it trottle and the rpms go up and down from 800 up to 1800-2000 and right back down. All kinds of trouble error codes would occur when this was going on. Changed all fuel filters same thing happend. Plumbed engine directly to 5 gal jury jug of diesel and engine ran great. Inspected the fuel system and found debris in the sreen over the fuel tank pick up tube in the tank. Also found some aluminum chips or shavings in the 90 degree fitting of the fuel pick up. Blew out the crap and cleaned the tank engine has ran great ever sense that was 790 hours ago.

Sea Stomper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If it has a panel like a D4 or D6, you can turn the key on while holding down one of the display keys, I can't remember which one. It might be the left arrow key, but can't really remember. You hold it down for about 5 seconds and the display on the tach will change. You then scroll through till you get to the "fault codes" selection, then select it. You will be presented with SID, PID and FMI numbers which will identify the system SID128 (engine), and the pid and fmi numbers will identify the part and the failure mode indicator. Charts are available on the web if you google and route around and get the best one. I can't remember where to go for them but they are out there. These are SAE J1708 codes and the D4 and D6 will display them if you know how to work the buttons. It's not a well known function of the D series V Pentas and I'm sure the dealerships would rather you didn't know how to access the fault system without a PC diagnostic tool. It's simple to do and can tell you some things. If the fault is not occurring when you try this, you probably won't see the fault display. My guess would be that there is a communication issue on the network between the throttle and engine computers, or a crank sensor issue.

And like shrip said, it could just be a fuel supply issue, either air in fuel or restriction in supply. Air in fuel or restriction will fault for low measured rail pressure versus commanded fuel rail pressure. When the supply can't supply necessary fuel cleanly, it won't make commanded rail pressure and it needs a clean air free restriction free supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.