Need a little guidance here...

Garrett1992

Cadet
I'm pretty new to saltwater fishing. I've been spending all my time working/tinkering on my boat(20ft center console) rather than taking it out fishing. I've took it to Southport, NC a few times just trying to get the feel for the ocean, not really knowing what to fish for or where to go. Im completely clueless about anything fish related on the ocean. I would like to fish within a few miles of the shore around Southport. I have a humminbird sonar/ chartplotter, but i recently figured out about the whole navionics card deal. Is it worth while to buy one of these things? will this help me to find where i need to be? Friends have told me about a few wrecks and articial reefs i should go to, and i could get the coordiates for them and just go straight to them. i have no clue. Should i invest in some paper maps too? i mainly just wanna catch some good sized fish.. king mackeral, stuff like that

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Need a little guidance here...

Your best bet is to call around and talk to some local guides and see if they would be interested in taking you out on your boat and showing you the ropes, it will cost a few bucks but will save you alot of time and money in the end. Make sure your boat is in good running order and it will be well worth the knowledge you'll gain.

thurps

Chief Petty Officer

Electronics you must have. #1) For obvious reasons, a VHF marine band radio. #2) Depth/fish finder. Nice to know the depth water and locate fishing structure. You can also navigate with a depth finder. #3) A GPS so you can go back exactly to your favorite spots by the shortest route thus saving fuel.

Garrett1992

Cadet

Yes, I have all the necessary electronics, can't think of anything else... i recently just put a fuel flow meter on too. About how much would it cost for a guide?

capt sam

You'll need to call around and explain to them what you want from them. It's fairly common here to provide this service for $300 or $400 for up to 4 hours after all you're using your boat and fuel.

Garrett1992

Cadet

Okay thanks for the info. Do yall think the navionics map card is necessary? I don't want to end up on a sandbar or anything, and I believe it will also help me to find fishing spots. Your thoughts?

capt sam

Yes they are good additional resource .

noworries79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm not sure about humminbird but with Garmin, the bluecharts give you all the totpography and wrecks. It is a must for near shore and offshore fishing. You may want to get a couple of clarkspoons with #1 and #2 planers and troll for spanish along the shore and wrecks. You also might want to try trolling along Frying Pan Shoals. Slow trolling live menhaden or "pogies" or even dead cigar minnows can land you a few kings. I fish around Cape Lookout and have a blast this time of year. Oh yeah the cobia bite is on right now! Good luck!