anyone add a bow filler cushion?

not enuf toys

Chief Petty Officer
i am thinking of adding a bow filler cushion. not sure how much i will use it as i have never had a bowrider before this one, but the idea of a full pad up there would be nice.

checked with manufacture and didnt get too far. looked a little into the fab of the material and wood base and looks like i can get it done at a decent price.

i am thinking that i could use some sort of plastic or stainless ledge on each side of the walls under the side cushions and have the filler cushion sit on it. the ledges would be through bolted with bracing on the inside for strength.

has anyone added a filler cushion? how did you support it? Picutres would be great :)

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral
Re: anyone add a bow filler cushion?

I did not add mine, they were standard from the manufacturer but I can tell you I have had them OUT once! they are always in. the only time I had to take them out was to load up 12 people in the boat and I needed the seating area. I have seen one boat where they were added, the owner used some nicely finished Teak (sp) wood and bolted it through the sides of the fiberglass bow area for the support then cut wood to fit and had it upholstered to match the rest of the boat, it looked great nearly factory.

My boat is a 248 and has three bow filler cushions if it helps

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

When we add filler cushions to bowriders or dual console models, generally there are seat supports added to each side of the formed in seating. This is nothing more than strips of starboard or similar material bolted/countersunk to the fiberglass seat facing. The filler cushion rests on these. They are unobtrusive and hold a great deal of weight. Simply cut to size and router and sand to your finished profile. 1/4" x 20 SS bolts every 8-10 inches works well for support.

filler.JPG

not enuf toys

Chief Petty Officer

When we add filler cushions to bowriders or dual console models, generally there are seat supports added to each side of the formed in seating. This is nothing more than strips of starboard or similar material bolted/countersunk to the fiberglass seat facing. The filler cushion rests on these. They are unobtrusive and hold a great deal of weight. Simply cut to size and router and sand to your finished profile. 1/4" x 20 SS bolts every 8-10 inches works well for support.

is this something that you commonly do?

that is pretty much the idea that i came up with. nice to know it will work!

jgl1962

Cadet

We added one to our old boat (1985 Sea Ray Seville) when we redid the upholstery in the bow. We used thin strips of oiled teak and stainless bolts to support the cushion. It was very handy since I can only take so much sun and once the bimini went up she was limited as to where to continue to bake. Nice improvement to the boat. Your boat's a bit more modern so I don't know about the teak though.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

is this something that you commonly do?

that is pretty much the idea that i came up with. nice to know it will work!

Yes, I have an upholstery shop and we do these quite a bit. The teak strips would work, but chances are your boat is new enough that you don't have wood in it which is why I mentioned the starboard material. Figure 1-1.5" square and bullnose the ends for a finished uniform look.

The cushion cost at a local upholstery shop (to match the rest of the bow cushions) could run anywhere from $75 to $150, depending on the materials used, the thickness and quality of foam, and the degree of complexity in the filler cushion. Hope this helps. If you need any additional specific information, feel free to PM me.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I'm working on putting something like this in my boat:

Superfish170_Bow-TrlMtr.jpg

Superfish170_InFloorStorOpen.jpg

Superfish170_InFlrStor2.jpg

Get a little "fish 'n ski" action goin'