Exhaust Manifold broken bolt removal _ boat runs hot at high speed

Mike_Maranto

Seaman Apprentice
Hi. I have a 1995 Crownline with 5.0 engine, my boat runs hot at high speed, at low it is fine, I replaced the risers and the impeller. It still runs hot, my next step is to replace the manifolds. While removing the manifold I noticed one screw has no head, any suggestions what I should do? Can I cut the with cutter the manifold and the remove the manifold and remove the stud using wise grip? Any help is appreciated.
Also with heating am I moving in right direction??

twostroke87

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Exhaust Manifold broken bolt removal _ boat runs hot at high speed

The 5.0 uses 4 long bolts that thread into the engine, not the manifold. So if you can remove the other 3 bolts, and slide the manifold over the broken bolt, if there is even anything to slide it off of.

You'll find either a long broken bolt thats threaded into the block that you can try and work out with some heat, spray oil and vice grips, or you'll find the bolt snapped right at the engine.

Go from there.

Mike_Maranto

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks that is exactly true I took out the 3 long bolts and the forth one probably I will need to scrap off the remaining head. Usually the manifold comes right off or do I have to hit with a rubber mallet like I did with risers?
Also you think I am in the right direction with heating issue?
When I replace risers should I go with closed gaskits or open ones (four open slots)
( the original ones were the closed ones//two slots open)......much apreciated

twostroke87

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Are you on the right track? Sort of

You made no mention of changing the thermostat. Also, when you replaced your imepeller was it missing any of the rubber veins? If it was they might but up in the cooling system, somewhere between the raw water pump you replaced and the thermostat.

So...change the thermostat for sure.

and yea, next is risers and manifolds. The manifolds usually have a decent about of rust that creeps around the gasket sticking the manifold to the engine, a couple of well placed pry's should pop it loose.

Yes, you want to use the gaskets on the riser with the 2 open slots and 2 closed. If you want to be absolutely sure, find out using the serial number of your engine what you need.

Mike_Maranto

Seaman Apprentice

I change impeller every season, the impeller was ok, I have not changed the thermostat but I thought with thermostat the boat heats up at low or high speeds. Is there a way to check how good the impeller is pumping water, I heard some mentioning of taking a hose off some where around thermostat....?

cr2k

Captain

Yes the hose that runs back to the transom shield, may also go thru a heat exchanger to cool the PS fluid. Pull off thermo housing. Best to put a short section of clear tubing in there so you can see what is going on underway.

Mike_Maranto

Seaman Apprentice

Upon cleaning and scrapping the bolt without face, I learned it was welded to the manifold, now I need to find a way to cut through the manifold, either through the bottom up or some other way....very upset why people do cheap stuff....have heard or read how some one dealt with problem like this??

Bondo

Staff member

Upon cleaning and scrapping the bolt without face, I learned it was welded to the manifold, now I need to find a way to cut through the manifold, either through the bottom up or some other way....very upset why people do cheap stuff....have heard or read how some one dealt with problem like this??

Ayuh,... Yer replacing the manifold Right,...

Bash the end in with a BFHammer...
An air Impact hammer would be even better...
Or, Grind the bolt head area back a 1/4"...

Mike_Maranto

Seaman Apprentice

Used 4 1/2 inch cutting tool from harbor freight. Engine was well ventilated with exhaust fan and also had the blower running, cut the bolt from bottom up, went through 4 discs.
Installed new manifolds/risers, new tstat stainless housing, I was told this a replacement for my housing, I had to plug the risers, the tstat is rated at 142. Replaced the impeller and the circular pump, the boat runs at 175 on muffs....I am not very hopeful, I know it will heat up upon sea trial, Is 175 normal on muffs? Previously it never went higher than 150 or 160 and btw changed the gaskets for the risers to open ones from restricted due to new tstat.....what could be wrong?? HHHH EEE LLL PPP......

Bondo

Staff member

what could be wrong??

Ayuh,... My 1st guess is, the T-stat housing is incompatable with yer cooling system...
You shouldn't have to be capping ports...

My 2nd guess would be the impeller is bad...

Mike_Maranto

Seaman Apprentice

Ayuh,... My 1st guess is, the T-stat housing is incompatable with yer cooling system...
You shouldn't have to be capping ports...

My 2nd guess would be the impeller is bad...

Ok....here's what I did.
Replaced open gaskets for risers with restricted one (like it was originally), switched back to original T Stat housing, unplugged the riser and added the hoses that run to T Stat, rechecked two weeks ago installed impeller. In Tstat housing first used the sierra 142 F Tstat engine ran hot till 175F. Tested the Tstat in water it opened at 162 F. went and bought quick silver tstat, tested it opened at 150 F ( I checked temp by usinng a laser temp gun). Ran boat again on muffs temp ran at normal but I see from star board side water coming out really hot and some steam, the riser and exhaust on same side felt very hot around 150F. Where as port side was normal, checked water flow to star board.....checked all hoses ....nothing. So one side is cold as compared to the other one
What else to look for?????

Bondo

Staff member

So one side is cold as compared to the other one

Ayuh,... Sounds like yer ready to Splash it...

Both sides of the motor, Never run the same temps...
In my experince,..
It's Usually, but not always, the starboardside is warmer than port...

Mike_Maranto

Seaman Apprentice

Ayuh,... Sounds like yer ready to Splash it...

Took it out on sea trial, at full throttle the temp went up till 175F and slightly higher, at bit less than full throttle it ran at 175f and below.......

Mike_Maranto

Seaman Apprentice

Update:
The temp was still high and the star board manifold/riser were running hot....I put a clear hose on the power steering cooler that goes to tstat housing and ran it above 3000 rpm, the clear hose shoes plenty of water without air bubbles...checked all hoses for blockage.....all hoses were good....checked tstat housing and noted blocked passages...went to mercruiser dealer and got a replacement housing....installed and took for sea trial....BINGO the temp never went higher than 160... The risers ran cooler than exhaust manifold, this was never before.....
All THANKS for your help...