Mercruiser 470 hard to turn over when engine is hot.

Sherlock_Holmes

Recruit
Well, I've been reading posts on here until I'm almost cross eyed. I've got a 1985 Cobia Ski Boat with a Mercruiser 470 (3.7 liter 4 cylinder). I bought the boat about a month ago and the previous owner that had knowledge of the boat is deceased and his family sold the boat.

I took it to a mechaninc to give it a once over to work out any kinks he may notice. He changed the oil, put in new plugs, new anti-siphon valve on the fuel tank, checked the the fuel quality (tank was left 3/4 full from last year), and I added a can of Sea Foam and then 8 more galons fresh fuel.

I took it to the lake and cruised about 3 miles at full speed and slowed down to a little above idle and the boat cut off. I tried to re-crank it and it would barely turn over like the battery was dead. I put in my back up battery, a fully charged high amp marine battery, and it did the same thing. Once the motor cooled it turned over normally but did not run smooth and back fired. Needless to say, my whole family was stranded in the middle of the lake for about 4 hours.

I took it back to the mechanic and he said that the high amp battery I was using had burned up the starter so he had it rebuilt. He also put on a new distributor cap due to a small crack. Also changed the rubber water pump (impeller) in the foot due to it missing 2 blades.

I took it back to the lake again and I ran ir for about a mile or so and it started back firing again after it got hot and I thankfully made it back to the dock. I turned it off and tried to re-crank and it was like the battery was dead just like before. After it cooled for about 90 minutes it spun over good and cranked but still back fired. Also, I was able to idle it up in neutral but it bogged down if I tried to idle it up in drive.

At this point, I don't know if I should burn it, sink it, or try to fix it myself.

I am thinking it may be in the timing or coil. I talked to another mechaninc who said it has an aluminum block and that the 470's have always been hard to turn over when hot because the block swells. He suggested I buy a switch to hook up 2 batteries at once to crank when its hot.

I talked to yet another mechanic, and he said if it isn't in the timing then it's the starter. But, the starter is freshly rebuilt. I know it could still be a bad starter but I just think it is something else.

Any ideas before I have a nervous breakdown? I've got 2 anxious little boy wanting to go tubing instead of watching daddy paddle.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercruiser 470 hard to turn over when engine is hot.

Howdy,

Welcome to iBoats!

Next time you run the engine, shut it down and remove the spark plugs and see if the engine is still "hard to turn over"...... AND have someone look and see if some water "shoots" out of a plug hole.

If it does, you probably need to replace your exhaust manifold, riser or riser-manifold gasket.

Sometimes the riser or manifold is cracked OR a leaking gasket allows a small amount of water to leak back into an open exhaust valve (that is open right after the engine stops)

Wait a little while, and the water will leak right past the rings and the engine will crank normally.

My previous 460 did exactly that . I had riser gaskets leaking on both sides for an entire summer........It was more pronounced because there was more water leaking into the engine after shut down. I couldn't crank it at all until an hour or so had passed........

cr2k

Captain

Also a sign of a worn starter. Armature drags on stationary windings when bushings go bad.

nola mike

Vice Admiral

+1 on Rick's comment. 470's apparently have a tendency to leak back into the #4 cylinder and cause the symptoms you're describing, hydrolocking the motor.

a1nowell

Chief Petty Officer

I have a '84, 470, when I got the boat I had very same problems. I check compression, pulled plugs, rebuilt the starter, rigged two batterys etc, etc. I know this does not make sense but, when I put an alternator conversion kit on the 470 all those problems went away.

I got my conversion kit from www.breezeworks.net, best price that I found. Also that website is a 470 only site.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

+1 on Rick's comment. 470's apparently have a tendency to leak back into the #4 cylinder and cause the symptoms you're describing, hydrolocking the motor.

It's really not a "470-thing" though, it's more a "didn't service/replace the riser/gasket thing"

nola mike

Vice Admiral

I've heard the 470's are more prone--don't know if having all the dissimilar metals (iron head, aluminum manifold, iron riser) makes them more prone to leaking. But sure, any engine could do it.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I've heard the 470's are more prone--don't know if having all the dissimilar metals (iron head, aluminum manifold, iron riser) makes them more prone to leaking. But sure, any engine could do it.

Yeah my 460 sure did. As have a LOT of V-8's V-6's etc.....

I would think that a closed cooled engine would be less susceptible to it because the riser gasket is a "block-off" gasket............but a leak is a leak!

Sherlock_Holmes

Recruit

Well, I believe I got the problem fixed. I tested the coil and it was only puting off 5 or 6 volts once it got warm. I replaced the coil and it did much better. However, I went to the lake for a test run and after about 10 minutes of smooth running it started knocking like it was fixing to sling a rod or a bad spark knock. (Just my luck) About 15 minutes later, I started smelling antifreeze and it was steaming like crazy and the temp was hot. I limped it back to the dock a little above idle and once the steam cleared I noticed part of the housing on the front of the circulating pump was blown off like something shot through it. I got it home and started taking the pump housing off and looked down and noticed the bolt that held the impeller on was laying under the motor. (I guess thats what shot through the housing, lol). So, once I get a harmonic blanacer "removal tool" I can change the pump and housing. The impleller blades are worn down like they have been grinded on, I guess that was the knocking noise. Its always something.

cr2k

Captain

OK, Well that was certainly a 470 thing.

buddyk

Banned

Does your starter have a solenoid drive mounted on top or just a Prestolite starter? If your starter is just a large shell with no drive this is the problem google im5400 aftermarket discount and change the starter. Mercruiser bought a cheap verson of a 302 cid ford body with two fields instead of four. this caused drag esp when hot. The starter also contained a center support plate with a bushing which liked to drift out of the plate with bad results.