3.0 mercruiser losing rpm's after warming up

bake415

Recruit
I have an 3.0 1997 mercruiser freshly tuned up that runs excellant ...till it has been ran for about 15 minutes then it starts to slowly lose rpm's. Its goes from 4200 rpms to 3500rpms at wot.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: 3.0 mercruiser losing rpm's after warming up

Sounds like something is tightening up, or you're starving for fuel. Check the lube in the outdrive. Make sure the water pump is working. Did you do anything with the filter in the carb? Define tune-up. That could mean anything from plugs and rotor to plugs & rotor, gearlube, oil & filter, and water pump. No two dealers I've worked for define "tune-up" the same way.

bake415

Recruit

I had the plugs,wire,cap and rotor change. Outdrive lube level is fine, had it change before season started. The water temp shows between 130 and 140 after running for a while. I've not checked the fuel filter. I did notice that I can shut it down and restart it 10 to 15 minutes later and it runs fine again for a while.

Wotknot

Petty Officer 1st Class

possibly your coil

akriverrat

Chief Petty Officer

plugged fuel tank vent? open cap after it starts bogging and listen for the sucking sound.

AussomeA

Recruit

I'm used to car motors, but these should still apply..

What grade fuel are you running? If you haven't been running premium try it next time you're out.

You might possibly need to adjust the timing.

fyrfightr

Petty Officer 3rd Class

man, I hope he figured this one out. This thread is almost 5 years ols ;)