1976 2hp have spark but no fuel

MADL

Recruit
I rebuilt the lower end and water pump on a 1976 2hp Model 2602 Evinrude. I had to pull the shaft out to change the parts.

The engine has spark and good compression. Fuel filter is fine as it is a gravity feed and when I pull the line off I have fuel going into the carb

This unit sat for several years as I could not find the lower part and did not have a lot of time to pursue it.

It has sentimental value so I would like to try and get in running again

Any thoughts? I tried a replacement carb (I bought a used identical parts motor they said ran from ebay and it did not work either).

Any thoughts? Note name is Dennis - MADL stands for Master Angler DL (joke with my kids)

hidef

Lieutenant
Re: 1976 2hp have spark but no fuel

I would start with cleaning and rebuilding the carb. It sounds like the engine is not getting fuel.

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I agree, clean the carb. the engine you bought may have been advertised as running, but your's is also right? By that I mean its not grenaded.

MADL

Recruit

I would start with cleaning and rebuilding the carb. It sounds like the engine is not getting fuel.

Thanks for the response - I found a rebuild kit online and I think I will also replace the float as it looks pretty bad.

MADL

Recruit

Thanks - I found a rebuild kit on line and am also replacing the float as it appears to be loaded with varnish after sitting for so many years.

It did start up and ran for about a minute then died. I replaced the plug and pull the hand starter rope with choke on several times ... pull plug and it is completely dry.

I know gas is going into the carb but it does appear to be finding its way out haha

My dad gave me this motor years ago as a college grad present so the reasons to get it running are more sentimental (he has passed on) than necessity. Will give the rebuilt a shot not a lot of money - if it does not work at least the carb will be in good shape.