93 OMC Cobra 4.3

Can I replace my engine with a longblock from a car? Or do I need to be marine specific? I winterized my boat late and cracked the block. Btw I just found this forum and it seems to have very knowledgeable people. Thanks alot!

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: 93 OMC Cobra 4.3

Can I replace my engine with a longblock from a car? Or do I need to be marine specific? I winterized my boat late and cracked the block. Btw I just found this forum and it seems to have very knowledgeable people. Thanks alot!

Howdy,

Welcome to iBoats!

(evidently you DIDN'T "winterize" your block. Sorry about that..........)

Some of us have learned the hard way.

Yes you can use a "automotive" block.

You should get it from a truck because they seem to have abetter cam profile that may minimize the chance of reversion.

Also, you will want to install brass core-plugs and a marine type circulating (water) pump. Find an engine that is approx the same year so you get an engine that will accept your flywheel, have the same type rear seal, same balancing (internal vs external) etc.....

Also, check your manifolds/risers VERY carefully as they may be cracked as well.....

Re: 93 OMC Cobra 4.3

Wow that was quick! Thank you very much! That is very good info...i certainly appreciate it.

Howdy,

Welcome to iBoats!

(evidently you DIDN'T "winterize" your block. Sorry about that..........)

Some of us have learned the hard way.

Yes you can use a "automotive" block.

You should get it from a truck because they seem to have abetter cam profile that may minimize the chance of reversion.

Also, you will want to install brass core-plugs and a marine type circulating (water) pump. Find an engine that is approx the same year so you get an engine that will accept your flywheel, have the same type rear seal, same balancing (internal vs external) etc.....

Also, check your manifolds/risers VERY carefully as they may be cracked as well.....