Speedometer on pontoon? Where? What? huh?

Mel85CJ

Seaman Apprentice
Okay, we have a 1985 harris flotebote 24' pontoon boat. It has a OMC speedometer on it. We got the boat last year, the speedometer didn't work.. (the tach works)

We are putting a new outboard on it right now and my husband says there there a tube for the speedometer (that works on pressure, when he put air in it the guage went up).

Where/how/with what does this tube mount? Are we missing some other part?

Anybody know the deal with this? If it is gonna be a big expense we can do without knowing how fast we are going (it is just a pontoon).. but it would be nice to get everything working, as we are kinda doing an minor overhal of everything (radio, rewiring, adding temp guage and some other goodies, refinishing the wood trim on the boat)

Thanks for your help :)

Melanie

wbc1957

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Speedometer on pontoon? Where? What? huh?

It needs the Pitot valve that attaches below the water line. Look for an existing place where one would have been attached or find the existing Pitot valve. If you don't know what it looks like Google one. Otherwise, update your boat with a GPS, witch is more accurate.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Okay, we have a 1985 harris flotebote 24' pontoon boat. It has a OMC speedometer on it. We got the boat last year, the speedometer didn't work.. (the tach works)

We are putting a new outboard on it right now and my husband says there there a tube for the speedometer (that works on pressure, when he put air in it the guage went up).

Where/how/with what does this tube mount? Are we missing some other part?

Anybody know the deal with this? If it is gonna be a big expense we can do without knowing how fast we are going (it is just a pontoon).. but it would be nice to get everything working, as we are kinda doing an minor overhal of everything (radio, rewiring, adding temp guage and some other goodies, refinishing the wood trim on the boat)

Thanks for your help :)

Melanie

Melanie,

Sounds like you need one of these.View attachment 91396

It's called a speedometer pilot, and it connects to the tube your husband found. It is mounted on the back of the boat just below the water line. Are you sure your boat doesn't have something that looks like this mounted on the back?

If not, you can pick up one here from Iboats for 6 bucks.
http://www.iboats.com/Pitot-Tube-Seachoice/dm/*******.809534465--**********.125279567--view_id.70526

Just be aware that most boat speedometers aren't always accurate. Allot of factors can figure in to make the speed they give you a little off. But they will give you a ball park speed none the less.

Mel85CJ

Seaman Apprentice

Awesome! $6 part! Super!

Yea, I realize the speedometer isn't really totally accurate, but it would be nice if it worked and was as accurate as it would have been in 1985.

Thanks! I'm gonna do my first order with iboats today.

Melanie

D

DJ

Awesome! $6 part! Super!

Yea, I realize the speedometer isn't really totally accurate, but it would be nice if it worked and was as accurate as it would have been in 1985.

Thanks! I'm gonna do my first order with iboats today.

Melanie

Terrific!

You're right about the speedo not being that accurate. But, it's nice to have it work.