Fuel/water separating filter

Old Crow

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Good idea to install one on my 2004 Yamaha F115TLRC outboard?
What should look for when buying?
What micron rating?
I have seen them with a clear reservoir underneath with drain. Don't like that option, seem easier to leak or get broke.

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Fuel/water separating filter

These fuel/water separating filters are great! Walmart/Attwood brand($27), easy 2 screw installation. Racor and Yamaha have them also, but cost more, maybe better. 10 Micron is the best (2 micron said to be potentially restrictive) I've been just unscrewing my cartridge, dump it out, screw it back on, lasted about 3 years and I just replaced it, but not sure it really needed it. Hacksawed my old cartridge to see what was in it...just the normal particles/debris. Guess it all depends on how much water/junk you've got in your fuel tank/system. Good Luck!

joe009

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i would get the yamaha filter.some one did a post nd cut open a yamaha and a store brand filter,he said the yamaha was much better made.

robert graham

Admiral

i would get the yamaha filter.some one did a post nd cut open a yamaha and a store brand filter,he said the yamaha was much better made.
I'm confident the Yamaha filter is better$$$, just depends on how much better you need. Since I installed my fuel/water filter about 3 years ago, there is no water or debris at all in my motor-mounted screen filter, so it must be working good. The Walmart/Attwood cartridge is about $8. They both will work fine for you. Good Luck!

Mad Dave

Cadet

Crow,
I have the same motor and installed the following: Yamaha (Mini 10) 10 micron fuel water separator filter.
Part # MAR-MINIF-IT-AS
It is a spin-on filter cartridge that looks just like an oil filter. It is high quality. I also did some research on installing these and added a primer bulb upstream of the separator. This is in addition to the normal primer bulb which is downstream of the separator. Some had issues trying to prime after changing the cartridge. It has worked flawlessly for me. I can't remember the price but I think the kit is under $50.
Good luck!