1990 larson all American project

Hi all,

new to the forum i am sure i will be pulling the resources from the various threads to get this thing up and going. i have just purchased a 1990 larson all American. the boat had been sitting since last year after the PO had it serviced and fluids changed. I purchased the boat for $500 which i have seen throughout the forum, is considered a free boat. However the engine had been serviced and the lower unit serviced just last year. So with only some new plugs and fresh gas from a can, boom started right up. So job one down.

i only gave myself a 3 week deadline for total floor removal and repair new stringers and custom upholstery (going with the full bench around method, and a captains chair. i am very handy with tools and cars youtube. so since purchase last Thursday i have removed all the upholstery, flooring, fuel tank. replaced all bad wood, (yes i bought the 75 dollars a sheet good stuff) cleaned and reinstalled the fuel tank. I also put the floor back down and will be glassing tomorrow. while that is drying i will start building the seating.

seat building, this is where i would like some opinions. my thought is since i am building a bench style seating around the passenger side and across the back. i made some drawings where i used several milk crates bolted together as a base, then wrapping the front with vinyl or carpet. and building a fitted top. this would be non corrosive, sturdy, and cheap, also providing storage.

i am pulling the bench seat out to the front of the dog house and making a padded platform to display my wife on across the back. i have seen some of these done this way and like it very much. i will put up some beginning and middle and ending pictures, my children were great and have been working hard. props to them

http://s811.photobucket.com/albums/zz34/pdqsvx/larson boat project/

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1990 larson all American project

Nice project for $500 with a running Mercruiser. Welcome to the forum.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

You must not be a drinker....doing a restore that fast doesn't leave anytime for beer:30.

Sounds like you have a plan....go for it..

You must not be a drinker....doing a restore that fast doesn't leave anytime for beer:30.

Sounds like you have a plan....go for it..

lol, nope just an anal retentive engineer, that doesn't sleep, and has a garage full of tools. i have project after project, usually cars. (subaru SVX) was the last. i work on it at night after everyone is tucked in. so 3-4 hours a night with a plan can get a lot of work done.

just a quick update, all the old floor has been removed, purged of rot. replaced the bulkhead at the ski locker. and one stringer inside of the ski locker. luckily it was only bad about 2 inchs down. i was able to cut it out and glass in a new piece without structural problems. unfortunately the lumber supply place that carries the wood i need didn't have two sheets of the same wood. so the center section if fir, and the outside fill pieces are birch. didn't want to wait on the shipment to come in two weeks.

moving on.
so stringers repaired, bulkhead replaced, fuel tank cleaned pressure tested and reseated. Garage floor paint on the floor pieces and glassed into place. today i placed the second layer of glass on the plywood at the splice points. already have the new carpet for the floor. also today scored some lounge style seats for temp(40 dollars). purposes until i get the rest of the seating built, only half done with that. two seats built fabric sewn (yes i can sew) and they look good. i will try and add some pictures tomorrow of some of the progress. i just have been moving at a fast pace and its difficult to remember to stop and document sometimes. that is if anyone is interested in seeing them.

plan for the rest of the week is to finish the floor glass tonight. tomorrow sand and put down the carpet. I have already been through the engine and ordered some new parts that i want in place before the test which is scheduled for Friday evening. crossing the fingers and looking forward to some hard work over the next couple days. i want to be completely done with all restoration by the 20th. wish me luck

Paul

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

i used this stuff to paint the inside hull and floor of the boat today. does anyone see any issue with this type of paint. i hope not since i already did it. :D

http://www.coronadopaint.com/downloads/Insl-x PDS/HTF-XXX Hot Trax.pdf

if not its on to the upholstery. sweet, half way there.

Well I guess time will tell.....the manufactuerer says for concrete, block, or masonary surface...nothing about fiberglass.... I personally have never used the product for anything.

Well I guess time will tell.....the manufactuerer says for concrete, block, or masonary surface...nothing about fiberglass.... I personally have never used the product for anything.

i let this stuff cure for 48 hours with some heat lamps on it just to be sure. poured a couple buckers of water on it and it shed the water right off. I then glued the carpet down and let it set up the did some vigorous tugging on the carpet and it didn't let go or come up from the fiberglass. so looks good on this end. plans run smooth will be out on the lake this weekend.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

i let this stuff cure for 48 hours with some heat lamps on it just to be sure. poured a couple buckers of water on it and it shed the water right off. I then glued the carpet down and let it set up the did some vigorous tugging on the carpet and it didn't let go or come up from the fiberglass. so looks good on this end. plans run smooth will be out on the lake this weekend.

Often time products have uses other than what thier labels say....just can't recommend. Glad it's seems to be working out for ya.

well good news, floor is finished all the interior except for the rear over the engine. wanted to take it to the lake and do some laps before i cover it up and make it more difficult to work on. The good news is that it ran well and looks like it runs aboout 40 if the speedo is correct. I do think this is about right for this boat. anyway have to finish installing the rear seats and bench and i will post some pictures. this site was very helpful in a lot of ways. i do however have to solve one problem. the controls seems to be a little tough to work. but will have to see about greasing it up.