alpha one gen two water pump ??????

bolo78910

Chief Petty Officer
been how i dont use the drive water pump to cool the engine. the engine has its own belt driven water pump, so does the water pump in the leg is to change often, or i dont have to. i am about to pul it from thr water and might just do it right this time, thanks

not enuf toys

Chief Petty Officer
Re: alpha one gen two water pump ??????

I would think that the impeller still drives water up to the exhaust manifolds to keep the exhaust cool but I would love to know this answer as well

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

been how i dont use the drive water pump to cool the engine. the engine has its own belt driven water pump, so does the water pump in the leg is to change often, or i dont have to. i am about to pul it from thr water and might just do it right this time, thanks

Howdy,

I'm not really sure what you're asking......

The engine circulating pump only circulates coolant (water) through the engine.

The "coolant" (lake-water) is pumped up by the raw water pump from the drive to provide this water.

The thermostat determines how much is actually allowed into the engine.

ALL the water pumped up to the engine is pumped into the exhaust manifolds/risers and then overboard.

The pump should be changed either when it becomes ineffective pumping the water or is damaged by being run dry.......in any case, every couple of years since they lose flexibility after a few years.

bolo78910

Chief Petty Officer

ok i re read my ?? and it realy confusing lol. what i am sayin is my boat does not use the outdrive water pump for cooling the risers/maniofolds that is done by a seprate belt driven water pump with a through hull pick up. the engine use antifreeze with a heat exchanger , ongly the riser/manifold cool with seawater. with that said does it realy matter if the drive water pump still changes or not????? thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The drive pump is used to run cooling water around the outdrive upper. If you don't do a lot of long runs while up on plane, it shouldn't be a big deal without it. Just keep an eye on the gear lube, if it starts looking black and smells really burned, then you probably should replace the drive impeller or look into a drive shower to cool the upper.

The above is assuming the water hose has been cut as shown below, and not just blocked off.

Attachments

• Untitled1.jpg
    Untitled1.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 0