Oil pressure gauge after the oil pump on an outboard?

fowl_natured

Cadet
Is it possible to install an inline oil pressure sending unit and gauge in the dash to moniter the flow out of the pump. I'm assuming if its possible someone would have already done this.

I was just planning on removing the oil injection and premixing but then wondered if an inline sensor and gauge was possible? I'm not sure how much pressure this pump produces. The psi might be to low to moniter?

Thanks

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: Oil pressure gauge after the oil pump on an outboard?

It to low to moniter.....

fowl_natured

Cadet

It to low to moniter.....

Are you saying it is to low to moniter? Or are you wondering why I said it is to low to moniter?

I wondered if a person could install a oil sending unit switch into the oil pump output line and hook it up to a seperate horn or idiot light so if the oil pressure drop in case of oil pump failure the alarm would sound instantly and allow you to shut down motor before damage.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

It is to low to moniter with a switch or guage, if it was feasible Merc would have done it years ago. Remember the oil pump varies the oil ratio at rpm so pressure and flow would not be constant. This system gives very few failures from oil pump failure , thats why the pump is not monitered with a sensor like the V-6, your system only sounds alarm if tank is low on oil.

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey Fowl,I have the same fears as you and many others re oil pump.I've got the V6 and it has a few triggers to alarm.There is a way my mechanic physically checked pump was working,but I was daydreaming/not paying attention.I'll try and find out and let you know.

fowl_natured

Cadet

Hey Fowl,I have the same fears as you and many others re oil pump.I've got the V6 and it has a few triggers to alarm.There is a way my mechanic physically checked pump was working,but I was daydreaming/not paying attention.I'll try and find out and let you know.

Thanks but I'm not sure if the V6 and mine are the same in the oil injection department

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

You check pump by measuring its full output at idle rpm in a graduated cc vial.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

I believe from 92 on, (might have been later), they also had rotational sensors on them. That's about the best your going to be able to do. As FB said, the flow rate is way to low to measure with a conventional oil pressure sending unit and I don't know off hand of any way to convert a fuel flow meter although there might be one out there.

As FB say's, they rarely go bad. You read about a few on here that have gone bad but you don't read about the thousands that are just fine after many years of service.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

So there is no confusion and thinking there is a way to update this(fowl natured), the small and big bore L3 engines(40/50/60/70/75/80/90hp) and the L4 engines(100/115/125hp) of any year have never had a rotational sensor on pump. I think maybe Steve was thinking about oil test switch that came on tank of some later models...

N3UP

Petty Officer 2nd Class

FWIW I have a Merc shop manual for the 3.0L V6 O/B's that says it covers serial numbers 0D280813 and above (which looks like 94 to 98 225 carb, 225-250 EFI, Seapro and Marathon) and it shows no rotational sensor on the oil pump for those models.

I believe Faztbullet's info that the oil system on the 3.0's is pretty reliable.
That said, I'd be a bit more comfortable if it had the rotation sensor though...