Hydrolocked Water went down carb

LAC_STS

Master Chief Petty Officer
Haven't started the boat in about 3 weeks.

I went yesterday and it sounded like the batter was dead. I KNEW (little voice) the battery couldnt be dead. I was thinking it has to be hydrolocked but I didnt have many tools on my. I did have the tools to get the batt off so I charged it at home then when I went today same thing.

After 2-3 seconds of cranking slow I stopped, went to get the socket for the spark plugs and I didnt have it. So I figured Id have to come back the next day and try. But before I left I tried to crank it one more time and it was slow then tried to start, ie it started turning faster and almost turned over.

So then I tried it again after pumping the throttle 3 or 4 times and it started but sounded like crap. One time it made a loud PING sound. Didnt sound like the starter/flywheel. Maybe the starter going back in?

After a min though I got it sounding normal and running smooth again. I let it warm up about 25 mins and then shut it off and checked the oil on the dipstick a few times. Not one bit of water that I can tell. No knocking or anything.

I saw how water got in. Basically I had to put plastic over the doghouse even with the boat cover because I took one of the pieces off that goes under the two seat panels so I could make a new one and wrap it in vinyl.

Its been this way for 2 months and has been fine till now. It got a hole in it. Right above the flame arrester.

The carb is green with mold already.

Is checking the dipstick good to see if water is in the oil or do I have to drain it (the oil).

Like I said I ran it for about 25 mins letting it warm up. Anything else I should do? I was thinking change the plugs and inspect the old ones. Anything else?

Should I put have the boat put in the water and see what happens when I go out and run it or should I automatically take the carb off and have it rebuilt/replaced?

Much thanks

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Hydrolocked Water went down carb

Howdy,

Well, if you got it running without damaging anything and the oil is not "milky" just take it out and run it long enough to warm it up completely. You won't do it on "muffs" enough to boil all the water out of the oil. (If the oil isn't white there's very little water in it anyway.)

Next time put a trash bag over the engine before you cover it!! Call yourself LUCKY!

LAC_STS

Howdy,

Well, if you got it running without damaging anything and the oil is not "milky" just take it out and run it long enough to warm it up completely. You won't do it on "muffs" enough to boil all the water out of the oil. (If the oil isn't white there's very little water in it anyway.)

Next time put a trash bag over the engine before you cover it!! Call yourself LUCKY!

Thats what I did before I left. I put one over the carb and one over the whole engine + new plastic.

I guess Ill go run it and report back.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Thats what I did before I left. I put one over the carb and one over the whole engine + new plastic.

I guess Ill go run it and report back.

A little bit of water in the oil won't hurt much. When my previous engine (OMG 460) had leaking riser gaskets on both sides, I would get a little water in the cyls EVERY TIME I shut down and tried to restart within a few min.

It acted like it had a "dead" battery, but would eventually crank and run.

If I let it sit over night, it would crank right up. (Presumably because the water would leak right past the rings and into the crankcase)

Then when running the next day, that little bit of water in the oil would evaporate right out because I never saw evidence of water in the oil in the form of milky white or gray oil......

It did this all summer. When I pulled the engine out and apart, it was painfully obvious what was going on!!

I am guessing that if you have enough water to cause it to turn white, you'll see clear water right away when draining some oil.

If your oil is relatively new, then drain enough to get the water out of the sump. (oil floats on top of water) then make up whatever oil you drain and run it.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Sounds to me like you rusted up a cylinder pretty good and that ping you heard was probably a ring breaking. I'd do a compression test on it if it were mine.

LAC_STS

I checked the dipstick 3 times after I ran it. I didnt see not a single spot of white or other sign of water.

The oil is new but I dont mind at all changing it if I need to.

Ill run a compression test.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I checked the dipstick 3 times after I ran it. I didnt see not a single spot of white or other sign of water.

The oil is new but I dont mind at all changing it if I need to.

Ill run a compression test.

You only have to drain a little to see if there's any water in there..........but you probably won't find much.....

A compression test may or may not tell you anything, but there's certainly no hurt doing it.

LAC_STS

OK. Ill add the oil to the checklist also.

Thanks

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer

To avoid rainwater from leaking into carb use an old frisbe with a hole in it to create a rain shield. A Good quality boat cover works well also.

telstar1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Water in cylinder and cranking engine over can bend a connecting rod which can in turn break a little later and the broken stub of c rod will create a new access point to the guts of your engine-messy. ask me how I know.Anyhow it is more than likely not bent but if you have unusual symptoms like vibration you may want to check into this. I believe you may be able to do a height of piston measurement at tdc to confirm.

LAC_STS

Well I went out and ran it today. It ran great. No flat spots or any carb problems. But then I had a huge problem. I guess I should start a new thread about it. So thats what Ill do.

Thanks for the help here. I guess for right now Im very lucky.