motor turns over when hooking up battery

gregs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
i've had such great luck until now with getting this boat going. havent bought a battery for it yet. i use my vehicle battery. but tonight when i tried to turn it over all i got was a clicking sound. after a few turns of the switch it tried to start but it keeps on just turning over. even with the switch off. unhooked battery to get it to stop cranking. as soon as i try to put the cable back on the starter starts to turn over. unhooked wires from the key switch and same thing.is this my relay or my starter? if its the relay how do i know which one? theres 3 all setting close to each other. this is a 2.3 ford in a 88 glastream. omc cobra

KC8OIT

Cadet
Re: motor turns over when hooking up battery

THE RELAY IS STUCK, THERE SHOULD BE TWO TRIM RELAYS, TRY TO FOLLOW THE WIRE TO IDENTIFY YOUR STARTER RELAY, THIS SHOULD BE FAIRLY EASY WAY TO FIND IT. IF NOT, HOOK UP YOUR BAT MOMENTARIALY,TO SEE THE ONE IS HOT USING A TEST LIGHT AFTER UN HOOKING THE CABLE TO YOUR STARTER.

gregs

Petty Officer 3rd Class

how can i get it unstuck? or can i?

KC8OIT

Cadet

IF YOU HAVE FOUND OUT THAT IT IS INDEED THE RELAY,YOU SHOULD REPLACE IT, AS IT IS HARD TO HEAR A STARTER THAT HAS ENGAGED WHILE UNDER WAY, THIS COULD CAUSE MORE SERIOUS PROBLEMS AND MAYBE LEAVE YOU STRANDED ON THE WATER.