TM running backwards

basscat19

Recruit
I'm at a loss here. A friend broke the prop shaft on his Minn-Kota Maxxum 70. We did nothing more than replace the armature and seals. The brushes looked great and were not touched. None of the wiring was disturbed but now the motor is running backwards.
Could the prop he purchased be wrong? There is one thing that I don't think would effect the direction of rotation, that is a corner of one of the magnets is broken. It seems to me that, that would only effect power. Any help would be appreciated.

fishrdan

Admiral
Re: TM running backwards

We did nothing more than.........

Put the magnet housing on 180* out of phase :D

(don't worry, I did the same thing with my Vector 70 :facepalm:)

Pull the 2 motor housing bolts, spin the magnet housing 180, bolt it back together.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Put the magnet housing on 180* out of phase :D

(don't worry, I did the same thing with my Vector 70 :facepalm:)

Pull the 2 motor housing bolts, spin the magnet housing 180, bolt it back together.

Brilliant! I would have told him to just mount the TM on the other side of the boat!! :D

jmillsp

Cadet

I am also having a problem with my armature on my 80 Maxxum. I was looking at taking it off my boat and taking it in to have it worked on but that appears to be about as big a pain as it might be to replace the armature myself. Is this something that can be done by the avg. guy? Any tricks I should know? Thanks so much!