lower unit seals

krs60

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I want to replace the seals in lower unit on my 1977 mercury 850 85 horse. Water is getting into the lower unit, is there a kit or any special tools anyone recommends? I hear either the shift lever oil seals or the driveshaft seal needs a special tool.

Moody Blue

Captain
Re: lower unit seals

Without performing a pressure AND vacuum test, I would start with the cheapest and simple approaches.

Water has 4 ways it can get into the LU.

1) prop shaft seals - difficult to replace, specialized tools required (not for the faint of heart)
2) fill and drain screw gaskets - cheap and easiest to replace. Takes 5 minutes and costs $2.
3) shift shaft seal - specialized tool required (tool can be made), seal (bushing assy) is cheap. Lower unit must be removed.
4) waterpump driveshaft seals - basic tools required, seals are cheap, lower unit must be removed. Good time to replace waterpump impeller.

Seals are purchased separately and are not (that I have found) available as a kit.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

You can get the seal kit thru iBoats part number 18-2653 and it comes with the complete shift shaft bushing and seal. The early model motors used a mild steel shaft and are bad about cutting grooves in shaft below water pump base. This can be repaired with a speedysleeve...

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I recommend you change the driveshaft seals and fill and drain gaskets first, and recheck. Those have always been the ones that would leak, in my experience.

Moody Blue

Captain

You can get the seal kit thru iBoats part number 18-2653 and it comes with the complete shift shaft bushing and seal. The early model motors used a mild steel shaft and are bad about cutting grooves in shaft below water pump base. This can be repaired with a speedysleeve...

That's good info Faztbullet. I inquired here last year about the same thing and was told that one wasn't available. Should have done my homework I guess. What model years would that kit cover?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Its a universal kit, you will have a lot of o-ring and seals not used..
Fits inline 4 & 6 cylinder 76 & up 75-150 hp
Fits early style cam shift V-6
Fits Xr4 small gear case pre 88

Moody Blue

Captain

Its a universal kit, you will have a lot of o-ring and seals not used..
Fits inline 4 & 6 cylinder 76 & up 75-150 hp
Fits early style cam shift V-6
Fits Xr4 small gear case pre 88

Maybe that's why. I have a 1971 vintage Merc 800 unit. Ended up buying all the seals separately.