Fuel Diaphram - 1994 50 hp - change it when it's running well?

djsforce

Seaman
Thanks to this forum, my force motor is running well and now hitting the max. rpm. I wish it had a little more get up and go for the bayliner 1401. I've had it for 5 years and have never replaced the fuel diaphram and I doubt the original owner ever replaced it. From this forum it sounds like a regular maintenance item. Should I replace it even when it is running well? You're experienced opinions are appreciated :D

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fuel Diaphram - 1994 50 hp - change it when it's running well?

It is considered a "consumable", or maintenance item.

IMO, should be done every 5 years.

They really haven't been holding up well since the introduction of ethanol in the gas.

The replacement parts are now ethanol resistant.

djsforce

Seaman
Re: Fuel Diaphram - 1994 50 hp - change it when it's running well?

I did replace it and I would recommend others do it. The mechanic I bought the parts from said it wouldn't change the performance. He was dead wrong. It's given my motor a little extra torque. For the first time since I've owned the boat (6 yrs) it pulled me water skiing on the weekend!! It could always pull my kids and small adults but it would just drag me through the water (180lbs) My speedometer now shows a mile or two increase of top end speed as well (30-31mph on a 14ft Capri). The old diaphram wasn't torn but it was stretched. Thanks to those on this forum my boat that already ran well is now running at its best performance ever:D Thanks!