Timing Question!

Riegfrghtl

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1972 Mercruiser 888 (Ford 302) with approx. 1200 hrs. Motor and outdrive both perform like they are new (knock on wood). Last year replaced cap, rotor, condensor, and points. Adjusted dwell according to Mercruiser manual specs. Getting ready to dewinterize boat and will be replacing plugs and wires. Will also check distributor parts and dwell again. I have two question that everyone on this forum may be able to help me with.

1. Once I verify dwell I want to check timing according to Merc specs. The problem I have is I cannot find any timing marks. Are they on the harmonic balancer or on a tab by the balancer? All I can find is a pointer by the balancer.

2. What is the best way to check the mechanical advance, springs, weights, etc. on my distributor which is an Autolite. All are original and have never given me any problems but due to age this isn't going to last too long. I know most if not all the internals in the Autolite are NLA. If things are bad I know I will have to replace distributor. Does anyone have a suggestion as to which one to put in a Ford 302?

Thanks in advance for help or insight anyone can give.

Tim

Lyle29464

Lieutenant
Re: Timing Question!

The marks should be on your balancer. some times rusted or painted over plus the water pump may almost cover them. If you can find them just paint a white line at the initial mark and one at the advance. I think mine are 8 and 36 but not sure, check the specks for your engine. Keep the weights and springs etc. damp with lube. I would not worry about them if you timing checks out with the light at initial and full advance. The thing to look for on an old ford is the slack in your timing chain. 1200 hours is a bunch on it. If your dwell was all over the place the chain might need replacing. It is easy to check the slack. no need to if dwell is no problem.

Riegfrghtl

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Timing Question!

Thanks lyle, Last summer dwell stayed at 29 degrees through out entire summer. I had opportunity to check 4 to 5 times last year. I will check in next day or two once I get boat up and running. Thank for your help. Tim