Totally New to boating

trailshredder

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am picking up my first boat ever on Wednesday. It is a used 18? sea sprite with a Merc I/O. My first (of I?m sure, Many) is; I have only about a 10 mile haul to get it home and it will likely be raining (still(ohio!)). Should I remove the cover or leave it on? I assume the interiors are made to get wet or should I mostly avoid getting it wet when possible?

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Totally New to boating

I always try to keep it dry.

Congrats on the boat.

Piece715

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Depends on the type of cover... if its a tight fitting snap design cover then you should be alright as long as your not hitting high speeds if its loose i'd take it off, they can be kinda pricey. I had a universal cover on mine once when hauling it to the shop and the wind ripped it to shreds. Lets just say it was $100 mistake ill never forget. But yes your boat should be able to handle a little rain on the trip home. If its inevitable to get wet... remove any electronics that ya can just to be safe... i.e. fish finders, gps, radio faceplate

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

with an unknown boat and cover, take it off. Your boat can handle a day of rain, or it isn't a boat. Electronics should be marine quality, too.
Get an experienced boater to look over your new boat with you and to go out with you the first time. NEVER take the family on the maiden voyage, unless they are experienced.

hungupthespikes

Master Chief Petty Officer

Welcome to iboats. Lots of buckeyes here and lots of help. If your buying from an individual they should be able to tell you if the cover will work. If not then take it off and make sure there is nothing that will blow out on your way home, that includes the seats that aren't secured. Lots of thunderstorms and high winds right now and more coming around this part of Ohio. When you get time update your location and where your going to boat. That will help us help you in the future.

trailshredder

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am always tinkering with cars, trucks, tractors, golf carts (gas, electric, Diesel) and belong to several of these types of forums. I am glad to see I found a boating forum with a group of people willing to share thier knowledge with a newbie to the hobby! Thanks all!

sublauxation

Lieutenant

I had a smaller seasprite with a nice custom cover. It had a small rip in it, last time I towed with it when I got to my destination the cover was a shredded mess. I'd take it off, but if you want to leave it on make sure there aren't any rips, they will grow into big rips in a hurry.

zagger

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Also make sure to remove the drain plug so any water in the boat will have a place to drain. Congrats and welcome to boats.

infideltarget

Master Chief Petty Officer

Welcome to boating and to iboats!

Remove the cover for sure until you know if it in fact a "trailerable" cover. A day of rain will not hurt anything, if it is all marine grade stuff. Like was mentioned already, remove ANYTHING not bolted down, if you want to keep it. Also, like was mentioned, remove the drain plug, and store the boat with the bow up as high as practical at home...even when covered. Just because is can stand to get a little wet, does not mean your interior is impervious to rain, sun, or general exposure. Keep it covered when not in use. It's ok to uncover whie in transit, just take the cover with you and put her to bed properly when you get to the destination. :D

Jayb123

Chief Petty Officer

I agree with Infidel.... I would remove so as to avoid any problems like rip/tears in the cover or even having it blow off the boat in transit. Then put it on when you get home.. 10 miles wont take long. By the way congrats on the boat. and welcome :)

trailshredder

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks to all. Made the trip home with the cover off and all went well. She is covered back up now.

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Good deal making it home safe and sound. Now get'r dried off and post some pics!

kailec00

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Congrats on the new boat. I am with DuckHunterJon, lets see the pics.

trailshredder

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'll get some pics up this weekend after a good cleaning. It isn't the prettiest thing, considering doing some repairs on it this winter.