1978 Evinrude 115hp - Compression question

tawd77

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 78 evinrude 115hp outboard. Its a 4 cylinder. Has 120/120/120/90 on compression. I took off the head, and the low compression cylinder looks like it had a ring issue, as the piston is dinged up on the top, and some on the cylinder head. The engine runs pretty good, besides a little stutter on idle. Is this motor still usable, or is it a grenade waiting to go off?

It doesnt have to run perfect, but as long as its got the power to get the boat on plane, and is somewhat reliable, thats my only concerns. Thanks!

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1978 Evinrude 115hp - Compression question

Don't use it any longer 'cause if you do you'll probably do more damage than what has been done. Tear it down and it still could be repairable.

tawd77

Seaman Apprentice

Fixing it isnt an option. If i can still get some use out of it as is, I will keep using it. But if you guys think its a ticking time bomb, then I will just scrap the motor. So, is it reliable the way it is, or is it getting ready to fly apart? Thanks!

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

If you keep using it, it's possible that the engine could quit/fail at any time. Unless you have a second (kicker) engine, that would mean a tow home.