1973 Sea Ray with 250 ci Chevy line 6 cylinder

SeaRay1973

Cadet
Does this original engine come with a radiator? Also, where should the battery be located? Sea Ray doesn't keep information for boats this old and I don't know where to go!

ziggy

Admiral
Re: 1973 Sea Ray with 250 ci Chevy line 6 cylinder

Does this original engine come with a radiator?
a radiator on a boat is called a heat exchanger. here's a link that explains the two types of cooling systems. http://www.limarinesurveyor.com/fresh_or_raw_water_cooling_system.htm
as the where the batt. goes. i've no idea. most boats i've seen have them close to the starter. that's where mine is on my L6. starboard side, right next to the starter..

SeaRay1973

Cadet

I know that there are two different cooling systems. My engine had a partial radiator hose on it, which is what is confusing. There is no room inside the engine cover or floor of the boat for a radiator to fit. Except for the bit of radiator hose hanging on my engine!!!! What is it doing there if I don't need it?? Or if I do need it, where is the rest of the hose and where does it attach to? I can't see anywhere for there to be a closed system for coolant to go.....

ziggy

Admiral

fwiw, most 165 L6's i've seen have been raw water cooled.
check out these two diagrams, maybe they will help..
for sure ya havn't got radiator hoses, cause any way ya look at it, you don't have a radiator for sure..

Attachments

• 165 fresh water cooled.JPG
    165 fresh water cooled.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 165 raw water cooled.JPG
    165 raw water cooled.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 3

SeaRay1973

Cadet

Thanks for those diagrams. Let me take some pictures of the engine and post them. Maybe you can tell me what is missing since you seem to have some experience with this type of engine. Identifying the cut hose that is hanging off the engine would be a HUGE first step.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

I just sold my old Sea Ray - it was an early 70's vintage with an inline six. Here's a few pictures of what mine looked like. I modified the water to reverse direction through the manifold as Mercruiser suggested in a service bulletin awhile back. Maybe that's the hose you are talking about? Or the hose on the water pump?

The battery is usually either port or starboard (or both) at the stern.

DSCF5702.jpg

DSCF5704.jpg

DSCF5701.jpg

ziggy

Admiral

just to be clear. what fm has shown you is a third way to plumb the 165. the way he's got it was to cure a specific known issue. see att. from sb 83-19...

thanks for the pics fm. i been lookin through my pics and can't find one i took of the ft. of my engine. i know there's one in there somewhere. but good grief. i can't find it... to cold and rainy to go snap one right now... sounds like SeaRay1973 gonna get us some pics. then we should be able to fig. what's up..

Attachments

• exhaust manifold water reversal kit.JPG
    exhaust manifold water reversal kit.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 2

marvinjansen

Petty Officer 1st Class

IMG_0190.jpg

Here's a pic of my 1973 Aristocraft 19 with a Mercruiser 165, hope it helps

marvinjansen

Petty Officer 1st Class

On previous pic, scroll to right to see whole setup which is the original on mine I think.

SeaRay1973

Cadet

Both of you put up great pics!!!! The hose that I'm talking about is the one stamped Heater Hose Made in USA. Also in the last pic, its the short L shaped hose going from the thermostat to the exhaust manifold. Though mine is longer and its red. Let me get those pics up and compare them to these ones.

Also, the engine is completely lacking battery cables and the battery. I have NO IDEA why they are missing....

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Also, the engine is completely lacking battery cables and the battery. I have NO IDEA why they are missing....

A lot can (and does) happen to a boat in 38 years. ;)

SeaRay1973

Cadet

10 years ago the boat was taken in and the engine was worked on. They cracked a head bolt and the guy who owned it stopped all work on it and put it in storage. It has been sitting since then. I'm thinking some pieces got lost and no one seemed to notice.

SeaRay1973

Cadet

I will be putting up pictures today! The weather has finally cleared up so I can get some work done.