Gamefisher 7.5 re-assembly question - gear housing assembly

aaron5978

Recruit
Hey everyone...hoping someone can give me some pointers here. I recently acquired a '78 Gamefisher 7.5 (217-585930). Motor starts, but the impeller was bad. Got everything taken apart, took off the water pump, replaced impeller, put water pump back on.

My problem is getting the lower unit back on. When I put the crankshaft and water line up into the column, I can get the lower unit within about a 1/2 inch of the column, but it just won't snug up all the way. I'm thinking maybe the splines on the drive shaft aren't lining up with the crankshaft? Any tips?

There is enough of the bolt that holds the lower unit onto the column showing that I could get the nut on there and try pulling it up that way, but I'm hesitant to try that for fear of screwing up the splines.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

M

mrcrabs

Re: Gamefisher 7.5 re-assembly question - gear housing assembly

There is enough of the bolt that holds the lower unit onto the column showing that I could get the nut on there and try pulling it up that way, but I'm hesitant to try that for fear of screwing up the splines.
don't do it!!!

On some models these drive shafts will slide beside the engine shaft giving you a false sense that your in...I like to get the water tub in at the engine then guide the shaft down and at that last 1/2-1/4 in get the tube in the pump with my little finger.