15' 1975 Tidecraft Open Bow Tri-Hull Resto (lots of pics)

l Saltydog l

Seaman Apprentice
Update on post # 10
Hello all,
I can say I have been a stalker on this forum for a few years, yet this is my first post. I bought a 15' 1975 Tidecraft open bow tri-hull for 265 clams. Motor-less so i can get something reliable. I purchased the boat on 4-19, and have been killing myself until investing in a Ryobi angle grinder this morning. :D As y'all can see the floor is almost removed. looks like the cap is glassed on the hull, i need to take the rub rail off to check though. The transom is probably shot considering the floor was soaked. Few questions though, to fix transom you must take off cap?

My plan for the boat is to make it a trusty fishing rig through my college years, mainly in lakes and salmon tributaries in Washington. Not many stock parts in the boat, no problem though i was planning for a true custom. only steering is left on the boat.
I will be putting the gas tank in the bow for better weight distribution.
Seacast the transom.
Need mucho help on the rest.
Pics cause i know y'all love em ima forum guy too...
110-1033_IMG.jpg

110-1040_IMG.jpg

110-1035_IMG.jpg

110-1038_IMG.jpg

110-1044_IMG.jpg

More pics once full floor is out. Opinions, comments, questions?
Thanks for your time,
Mike

Last edited:

l Saltydog l

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 75' Tidecraft Open Bow Tri-Hull Resto (lots of pics)

110-1045_IMG.jpg

<3 angle grinder
110-1046_IMG.jpg

down to fiberglass, hopefully will get the back of the boat out and get pics by the end of tonight. Back to the batcave.

l Saltydog l

Seaman Apprentice

1'st note: I spent about 3 days of work in 15 minutes with an angle grinder. Wish I would have used before.

Friscoboater

Captain

That is why they say, there is a right tool for everything. If you are going to tackle something like this, you must have the right tools. Keep the faith!!

l Saltydog l

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 15' 1975 Tidecraft Open Bow Tri-Hull Resto (lots of pics)

Well p/o painted it before and rub rail is a ***** to take off. Hope he didn't cover up something :eek:

l Saltydog l

Seaman Apprentice

Well after taking the metal braces off between the cap and hull at the transom the adhesive is cracked and worn. lookey lookey
110-1052_IMG.jpg

110-1053_IMG.jpg

110-1055_IMG.jpg

110-1056_IMG.jpg

110-1058_IMG.jpg

I was expecting to see some wood back there, seems like its a solid fiberglass transom I'm probably crazy though.

l Saltydog l

Seaman Apprentice

Just finished drilling about 100 rivets around cap, can't wait to get this thing separated and start the real work.

l Saltydog l

Seaman Apprentice

Anyone know any other ways than a grinder to cut fiberglass, the cap is fiberglassed inside to the hull, very timid with the grider :confused:

l Saltydog l

Seaman Apprentice

Once I can get another pair of hands the cap will be off and more pics will be accommodating this event.

l Saltydog l

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 15' 1975 Tidecraft Open Bow Tri-Hull Resto (update 8/14/11)

OK I know what your thinking, he gave up. Well to some extent i rage quit at some times, those times are over. Some pics were taken during but i couldn't find camera cable until today. So i bought polyamide epoxy and coated the entire hull, Used 1" marine plywood for transom. I used the remaining 1" to build the stringers. Then got 3/4" marine plywood and build the deck in 3 pieces. I AM VERY SORRY FOR NO STRINGER PICS, you can slap me..... put greatstuff expanding foam under sides of deck, sealing everything with 5200. Boat is currently foamless. Cap has been put on and attached with 10/32 bolts tightening washers all that good stuff. Currently sealing cap with 5200 on outside then painting over nuts inside with epoxy. epoxy was 89.55 per gallon, i used 2 on hull and transom, have 1 left for deck and inside hull. I thought epoxy would be the easiest and got it tinted to black to see where i had already done. Boat looks like ****, but i am taking to Flathead lake in Montana everything aesthetic will come later.... ENOUGH jibberjabber, pics.....

l Saltydog l

Seaman Apprentice

110-1067_IMG.jpg

110-1065_IMG.jpg

110-1066_IMG.jpg

110-1075_IMG.jpg

110-1076_IMG.jpg

spellbound

Cadet

any chance the capacity plate is still on it and readable? I just acquired a 1976 15' tidecraft bass boat with no capacity plate. capacity probably pretty close to the same as your boat. if you have that info i would surly appreciate it if you could share that with me.
Thanks

l Saltydog l

Seaman Apprentice

My tag is shot, these are old pics. Let me look up my hin and try to find some info. I will help no problem! Maybe on title I could find it? they are basically no other tidecrafts on these forums.
Max HP is 85, Mine is a 15' so must be extra careful not to overfill....
110-1043_IMG.jpg

l Saltydog l

Seaman Apprentice

To no avail did i find anymore information. On the title it says 650 not sure if they mean gross boat weight seems a little light maybe that is the info you need.
On other news, Fixed trailer lights today, got new bearings ($160) + new tires ($240). Got fishfinder downriggers etc mounted, pics in the morn. COST SO FAR---- $265 for boat and trailer. $450 lights + trailer parts. $60 Licensing and registration. $220 for marine plywood (1- 1" $80, 2- 3/4" - $120). 5 cans of 5200 $60. 3 Gallons of poly-amide epoxy $~300. Bolts exp foam brushes bs drainplugs etc $40. Total so far not including fishing equipment $1345 clams. Dry rot in tires and shot bearings were not expected. $300 epoxy was worth it, easy and super strong and flexible.
Pics in the morning as promised shes a 'lil nicer than before.... I'm literally sick after adding that up. now thinking of grinder and other things makes me want to puke, UGH. Guy at boat store said this "you know what boat means right" "me idk" "bring on another thousand" :facepalm:

l Saltydog l

Seaman Apprentice

Gonna take her to Mayfield Lake tomorrow, Make sure everything is working well hopefully hook into a nice Tiger-muskie :D

RyanB

Cadet

Good looking boat Saltydog. Put allot of work into it! Question on the winch looking thing on the front of the boat. Is that for an anchor or something? If so, do you leave the anchor hanging off the front when not in use?

l Saltydog l

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Ryan! Yes it is for the anchor, I'm guessing it just hangs off the front haven't hooked up rope to the pulleys yet. How did your boat ever turn out? 6 year old thread lol.

RyanB

Cadet

Yea, it's an old thread. I took a huge detour away from boating stuff but I am back to it now. In the middle of the floor replacement right now. I'd be interested in seeing how it looks hanging off the front. I'd worry about it constantly banging into the hull. Trying to figure out where I want to keep my anchor on my boat for the future.