motor guide brute 756 questions

21bravo

Cadet
I have been looking all over and can't find a wiring diagram on this trolling motor. Can anybody help with this? Also it has a turn dial on it so I assume that this is for different speeds since it doesn't have any markings on it I'm not sure. Right now if I have the switch on 12 it only works in 1 position of the switch. It also works in the same position on 24 volt. Does thus trolling motor only have 1 speed? Any info will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
kenny

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: motor guide brute 756 questions

Check the MotorGuide web site for a downloadable manual. As I remember these motors had three wires (one red, one orange, and one black). Red & Black = 24 volts. Orange & Black = 12 volts. Not knowing how your boat is wired thats the best I can do for you. If the boat was configured for 12 AND 24 volt operation it would have provisions for two batteries and there would be either three or four wires going up front to a panel that contained the troller receptacle. Tell us what you have for wiring.

21bravo

Cadet
Re: motor guide brute 756 questions

Thanks for replying. My boat I'd a 87 Skeeter SF 150. It is setup with 2 batteries and has the trolling motor plug in 12 and 12/24. I have both 12 and 24 coming out of it. I have ordered a speed switch but than I took apart the head where the directional arrow is and there was a black wire that looked like it was broken. Both sides were hooked up so I spliced it and it worked in low gear but as I changed gears it caught fire. Not sure if it touched another wire or prong but if anybody has a motor guide brute 756 could you please take off the cover and take a picture of the wiring. Thanks.