Engine and outdrive not responding

clarkhaven

Recruit
I have twin mercruiser 5.7's. The port engine starts and runs fine. The starboard engine does nothing. When I turn on the key, there is very brief movement on the gauges then they go "dark". It is almost like the helm breaker is popped, but only to the one engine. So far, I've checked the main (70 amp) pop out breakers, the in-line breaker (on the engine) and the main fuse box in the cabin. Used a volt gauge to make sure there is power from the battery throughout the system and everything seems to have power. The trim on the outdrive also is dead. The boat engines and drive are 2008. HELP!

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Engine and outdrive not responding

First, try jumping the slave solenoid, this should spin the motor.If not, start checking battery(dead), battery cables(internal corrosion), battery cable connections.(loose/corroded)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

First, make sure your battery cables are tight (With a wrench)
With the key on, check power on the ignition switch on the red/purple wire. If you have power there, move to the purple wire.
Results???

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

First, try jumping the slave solenoid,

No sense jumping the slave solenoid if he doesn't even have instrument that stay on.

clarkhaven

Recruit

First, make sure your battery cables are tight (With a wrench)
With the key on, check power on the ignition switch on the red/purple wire. If you have power there, move to the purple wire.
Results???

Battery cables are tight.. even tried the parallel start. I will check the ignition wires. Was just hoping there was something I missed before pulling the dash.. ugg.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

I disagree, being able to spin the starter shows that battery, cables, connections, and starter will operate.If nothing turns, no power is available. But "jumping the slave" I mean jumping the 2 heavy lugs. We both know that poor connections drive us nuts.