Painting a galvanized trailer

1buckeye

Recruit
Hello...
I just found this place...and I really like this site.
I have an older 16' fiberglass CC restoration project im starting. I want paint my trailer but im not sure what kind of paint I should use since the trailer is galvanized. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Painting a galvanized trailer

CRC makes a very good spray on paint for Galvanized trailers I just bought two cans of it yesterday, cost me $8.99 a can.It's made by Rustoleum It has a lot of zinc in it.

MAXXIE

Chief Petty Officer

Not sure about the stuff "Silver Eagle" is talking about, never heard of it, but I've been asking the same type of questions because I too want to paint my Gal. trailer. I contacted the DuraBank Co. for information (they make a rubberized non skid, roll on product), & they said it must be "Etched" first to get anything to stick to a galvanized metal. I picked up self etching primer & might try that, but I want to check out this paint that "Silver Eagle" is talking about, this might be the way to go. Where store did you buy it from?

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer

True Value. Last year I got a can from West Marine, it cost $14.99 made by Rustolium.They didn't have it this time. The CRC paint was in the same display as the other Rustolium cans.Same spec's.

Bondo

Staff member

I want paint my trailer but im not sure what kind of paint I should use since the trailer is galvanized

Ayuh,...Galvanize has to be treated Just like aluminum when it comes to painting it...
Painting it will also cancel out the virtures of the galvanize....

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

http://www.galvanizeit.org/images/uploads/articles/paintsteel.pdf
It appears that the galvanizing industry says if you can get a barrier coating such as paint to stick............
The overall affect on the base steel is that the duplex system (galvanizing and painted) not only provides hot-dip galvanized life plus the paint life but also provides a multiplication factor of 1.5 to 2.3 on the sum of these two lifetimes.

Fjandy

Seaman

I have seen many galvanized things painted. I was not aware that painting removed galvanizing. I'm going to ask my paint supplier about that since my trailer is galvanized and I intend to paint it.

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer

I agree that galvanized trailers are ugly, however if you paint it you will have to maintain it forever. Galvanized trailers last longer and require less maintenence. It is difficult to get paint to stick to it for long periods of time especially in corrosive enviorments. You may consider coating with a rhino liner type product.

MAXXIE

Chief Petty Officer

I constructed a light bar to hold my KC Daylighter off road lights out of galvanized steel, fence post material to be exact, for my FJ Cruiser. I did not prep the metal in any way. The clamp ends that clamp onto my roof rack are galvanized & I find that the paint peels off or chips off after 1 year. I was just out looking at it & it needs to be repainted now. With the trailer I'm planning on painting I'm going to try this "self-etching" primer. I think I'll give the light bar clamps a shot of the primer as well before painting this time, it's gotta help in some way. But, touching up clamps every year is one thing... touching up the entire boat trailer every year would be a PITA. Think I'll just leave it as is.