Radio shuts off.

kevinn

Recruit
My radio on my boat turns off after a few minutes when my outboard is running. It will keep playing when the outboard is off. It is wired to a battery with 12ga wire. There is nothing else connected to this battery. What would cause it to shut off only when the outboard is running.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Radio shuts off.

Over voltage. Most electronics has over as well as under voltage protection. If the device detects the voltage is too high it shuts itself off. Same for under voltage. What make, year and model engine are we talking about. If its an older engine without a regulator, or if the regulator is bad, system voltage can go too high. Check voltage with engine off and at mid to high speed with a hand held voltmeter.

kevinn

Recruit

My motor is a 2002 Yamaha 50 hp. I don't understand why this is happening because I have the radio connected to a battery that is not connected to the boat or motor in anyway. Is there any kind of radio frequencies the motor would put out to cause this problem.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Are the power and speaker wires for the radio running adjacent to any of the wires from the engine to wherever the radio is mounted. There shouldn't be any interference at a level that would kill the radio but you might try moving things around to separate those wires.

pootnic

Chief Petty Officer

It does it consistantly,the same time each time?
It could be just a bad connection and vibrating loose when outboard running.
Fuse socket,wire...
Is your battery good that you hook your radio to?