1994 johnson 175 2,4,& 6 dead

ignition

Cadet
I have a 1994 johnson 175 glera. 2,4 & 6 are dead. can not get spark; have replaced stator,power pack,coils,optical timing sesor,shift switch & still no spark. can anyone help me with what else I need to check ??

Big flop

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1994 johnson 175 2,4,& 6 dead

Try unplugging the plug in the top of
the power pack with black/black/brown/white/yellow
wires. If you get spark it may be a harness problem.
The motor will not shut off from the key
with that unplugged.

ignition

Cadet

Uplugged the plug & still have no spark; what type of problem would it be in the harness. would it be the engine harness or the ignition harness ?

Big flop

Petty Officer 1st Class

If the engine harness black/yellow had a problem, shorted
to ground or shorted to another wire, results in no spark.
Unplugging that plug rules out motor harness boat harness
Key switch & kill switch.

Did you ohms test & voltage output stator?
Power pack voltage output check?
The parts you replaced, were they OEM parts?
Were they new parts ?

ignition

Cadet

Ohm cked the stator & it cked ok per the book;Do not have necessary equipment to voltage test stator or power pack; The parts I replaced came from a marine parts dealer & are new.The stator & power packed info stated that they "replace" the original parts. I guess I am to have to take it to the local Johnson dealer.I have cked the black/yellow wire from the shift switch(which is also new) all the way to the big red plug. I am at the end of my knowledge as to what to do. Thanks for your advise

Big flop

Petty Officer 1st Class

Are you using a 6 or 8 wire spark tester ? I have
seen those crap out before. To easy right.
Good clean ground on pack?
Unplug stator from pack & check pins in pack. (bent pin) ?
It does sound like a pack problem.

daselbee

Commander

Just went thru a problem with optical ignition. It was intermittent no spark on all six. Turned out to be corrosion on the connector that plugs into the optical sensor up under the plastic cover. trigger signals were not getting to the pack.

EDIT:
IF YOU HAVE A SHIFT SWITCH>>>>
I read somewhere that the shift switch on some models kills the port bank. On all V6s that I have ever worked on, the shift switch kills stbd bank, so this is different if true.
I think I read it on CDIs debug pages.

If so, simply disconnect the black/yellow wire from the shift switch to test.

EDIT 2:

I re-read and saw your shift switch reference. One thing...the shift switch black/yellow wire does not go to the big red plug. It goes to the pack directly, in one of those plugs that big flop mentioned.

daselbee

Commander

Ok I found the ref to the port bank and shift switch question. It is on page 61 of the CDI troubleshooting guide, under #6 bullet, BUT it does not apply to this motor. It is for 1998 and up models.

So, the shift switch kills the stbd bank on a 1994. Sorry for the mis-direction.