newbe needs help with 6hp that wont idle

donnybrook

Recruit
I have a 79 model 6 hp (6904E) i can get it to start and run ok but refuses to idle. i have the slow idle screw out 1 1/2 turns off bottom have had the carby off and replaced the gasket from carb to crankcase. any ideas would be much appreciated

Big flop

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: newbe needs help with 6hp that wont idle

when carb was off did you clean and kit it ?
when it starts to die does choking help ? :)

raczekp1

Lieutenant

to be sure you are not loosing compresion, change head gasket and before putting new flatten the head surface in auto repair shop

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Check the compression
Check the spark
Rebuild the carb, paying close attention to the idle air passages under the welch plug on top of the carb.

donnybrook

Recruit

thanks guys i will get a full kit ( as a kit was not available at the time) and new float (the old one is past its use by date),it had me stumped as the other day it would not run without full choke indicating not enough fuel getting through,now runs ok but wont idle. However after reading the replies i may have disloged some crud and blown it into the idle passage. Compression is pretty much the same on both cylinders,has plenty of spark.
again thank you for your insight and i will keep you posted with any further developments