1965 33hp Johnson

Clemsontiger

Cadet
Just bought boat and motor after seeing a 'dry run,' of a few seconds in the previous owners yard.

In changing the impeller and foot lube I found one of the shift-rod linkage bolts had stripped out the brass fitting. The new linkage is on but it only went on by raising the lower units' shift rod to its highest position and putting the shifter in reverse. I have disassembled and redone this thing more than once and can't tell if its me or some other dummy. :facepalm:

1st post for the other problems I ran across were addressed elsewhere on this site. Thank you all for that.

dew2

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1965 33hp Johnson

Thats pretty much how all that style shiftshaft goes back together.The stripped bolt on the link can be repaired with a nut and bolt just remove the other one to take it down.However if you want to replace it ebay has them for 10 bucks if you dont see it cheap just keep watching it will be up for 10 or less

BOYS & TOYS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have repaired the brass piece with a 1/4" NC heli-coil and cut the extra coils off with a grinder.
My old bolts were NF thread so i just used a new coarse thread ss bolt.
Hope that helps
Mark

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

I think that will work just fine. Another thing I would have done, is just use a longer bolt, with a locking nut on the back side.

Clemsontiger

Cadet

Thank you all for the replies but my comments about the stripped threads in the shiftlinkage distracted from the problem.

The upper unit's shift rod must be put in the reverse position and the lower unit's shift rod must be put in the highest position for both of them to 'meet,' close enough to be joined by the shift rod connector. I fastened them together with the shift rod connector and pumped the lower unit full of lube. The lower 'drain,' screw would not go back into the hole. Something is in the way in there.

Getting into an outboard motor for the first time is like sipping water from a fire hydrant. I thirst no more.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Any chance that you removed a philipshead "screw," which is actually a pivot pin, from the bottom section of the gear case? If you did, you have removed a pin that the shift lever in the gearcase pivots on. Further, since you have been moving things around, chances are that you won't get it back in place, without spiltting the gearcase.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

You took out the phillips head screw to drain the oil, didn't you? If so, you may be able to get it back in by laying the engine on its side and poking around in the hole with something sharp to try to get it lined up.

Clemsontiger

Cadet

Laugh or cry? That is exactly what I did. I just moved the shifter into the "N," position and the screw went right back into place. Grandmaw always said I would go though life with folks thinking I was stupid, if I opened my mouth I would remove all doubt.

Everything appears to work from the shifter all the way to the prop now. Thank you all for your patients with me on this. Shall I try and fire it up?

Clemsontiger

Cadet

I'm gonna take a break and eat something. I vatted the carb and put it together with a new kit. I also installed new coils, points, condensers, wires, plugs and fuel lines. If you don't hear from me for a couple of hours look for the smoke and pull me out of the fire!

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Western+Fair+2009+042.jpg

Clemsontiger

Cadet

lol, after seeing that I'm glad it didn't start. I need to check the lines from the tank to the motor for air leaks. Its sounding gas starved to me because of the little 'pop,' from the exhaust. It showed 100lb+ on both cylinders on the compression test cold. What do you think?

kfa4303

Banned

Clemsontiger

Cadet

Try these links. They'll walk you through an all around tune up and initial carb settings, which should help get rid of the "pop". I'd recomend a carb kit and tune up kit. you can get them right here at iboats for about $50 total. Good luck. Keep us posted. These old motors are well worth the effort.

Thank you all for your patients and help. I am learning fast and hard. The old engine and I survived the horrible tornado that came through and I finally got around to firing it up. You would not believe how well it runs and most of the credit goes to folks here. Thank you all so much.

Now for the glass work! :)