Shaft length! I am the world's biggest idiot!

Gas Giant

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well, turns out when I bought my replacement outboard, I forgot to measure the shaft length. I hate being a newbie! The Force 50hp I have now has a longer shaft that my old Suzuki. The Force doesn't have a power tilt setup.

So, to correct this problem, would a jack plate, something like this, work to raise the engine to the right height?

http://www.magemarinestore.com/512inse2pima.html

I don't intend to adjust the height once I mount it; I just need a way to permanently raise my engine up and do so on a tight budget. I'm wanting to use my boat this summer since my brother gets deployed to Afghanistan later this year; I'm not terribly concerned with top end speed or anything. Just want to be able to get out on the river.

Or, am I just out of luck? Any help is appreciated.

tater76

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Shaft length! I am the world's biggest idiot!

The actual mounting height on your force should be about an inch above the transom cap. Why do you need it to be higher? How high is the transom?

Gas Giant

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok, here we go. Its a lot easier to measure the transom now that the old engine is off.

The transom, measured down the dead center (lowest point in the "V" to the point on the transom cap directly above it) is 20 inches. Since the transom itself is at a slight angle, I took the vertical measurement using a string with a weight, a level, and a tape measure, and got 19 inches measured directly vertical. (I'm not sure which measurement you're supposed to use)

The engine, measured from the bottom of the cavitation plate to the underside of the transom clamp is approximately 22.5" as best I can measure it.

So, if it's supposed to sit an 1" above the transom cap, that either leaves it sitting 1.5" or 2.5" below where the cavitation plate needs to be. Since it's not that far off, I may see what can be done about mounting it as is - I have my choice of two bolt holes.

Unfortunately, this engine doesn't have the convenient lifting hook my Suzuki did, so I am going to have to bring over some extra muscle to play around with this thing. That is unless I get confirmation here that I definitely shouldn't mount it as is.

tater76

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ok, so when I said an inch above the transom cap this is straight out of my manual. In my opinion, nothing is set in stone, I would try mounting it in the upper of the two choice holes. Run it see how it does, if this causes cavitation, lower it. Oh and depending on hull shape, weight, etc mess with the trim see if you can find the sweet spot :) Mine is in the second hole from the transom side, and seems to run the best there.