Upper crankshaft Bearing removal

M

Maxz695

I ordered the upper crankshaft bearing fo my 1979 40 HP 2 stroke. After removing flywheel, stator, trigger, and upper baring retaining plate, and seal? will the bearing come out relatively easy, or do I need a puller for it? Engine has has ringing at WOT scince I got it going a year ago a year ago. I want to protect the Crank bearings. There is no noticeable play in the shaft itself.

Laddies

Banned
Re: Upper crankshaft Bearing removal

It should come out in the end cap when you put it, it's a slip fit on the crank.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

On most of the Merc inline engines they(bearings) are pressed on so to properly remove it will require engine teardown. What ever you do do not use a slide hammer. I havent built a 2 cylinder 40 in a long time so I can remember on the upper bearing.

M

Maxz695

LOL I got a yes it slips right out with the bearing retainer, and I also got a no it,s pressed in. This is the Top Shaft bearing under the retainer

donzi gt230

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If there's no play why do you suspect the bearing? Is this a common issue on that motor?

M

Maxz695

I received the upper Crankshaft bearing today. I still don,t know if i tear the flywheel, and the stator then remove the baring end cap if the old bearing is gonna come out relatively easy, or is it pressed in. Anyone have a firm answer?

daveswaves

Ensign

Laddies is usually right on with this stuff, I believe you will find the bearing a slip fit. Faztbullet is 100% correct that most of the inlines require a bearing puller. So you already have two correct answers, one more likely than the other:). I suggest that you pull the flywheel, remove the stator and pull the end cap.

M

Maxz695

Yea I was gonna actually post that I would take the more experienced answer, but I do have one more question as I have never done this before on a boat engine. Should i use 2 cycle oil to lube the bearing 90 weight oil as like in the lower unit, or I highly doubt Bearing greese?

daveswaves

Ensign

use two stroke oil. If the bearing is an aftermarket bearing it may be pre greased and may have grease seals on the bearing. If so, remove the seals to match your original bearing and wash the grease out with solvent. Then re oil the bearing with 2 stroke oil. While you are in there check the 1/8 flexible line from the bottom bearing to the top bearing and make sure it is not cracked or plugged. As an extra precaution I usually fill this line with 2 stroke oil when I put it back on.

daveswaves

Ensign

No problem, that is an original bearing and does not have any grease shields. It will most definitely come off with the end cap when you remove it.

M

Maxz695

new retainer baring is in and sounds great waiting on my prop lock washer then it, Off to the races