Dirty Buisness?

EMC 1810SS

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I watch my local craigslist quite closely to monitor boats etc. Lately there has been a person that has been posting NADA values for boats that have been posted that this person thinks are listed to high.

Do you think this is playing dirty? I think it is absolutely ridiculous. If demand and prices are going up, why the heck should this guy care? It helps everyone. This example really bothers me because the posted NADA price is WAY lower than what I came up with on NADAs site just using the option in the add and there could be more.

What do you think about stuff like this?

Original Add

$2k low NADA posting

Since the Offenders posting has been flagged it said:

1990 ChrisCraft-
NADA Value $3700

Last edited:

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Dirty Buisness?

I don't think it's right for the seller.

From what I have read on iboats, NADA is way off on their prices.
3700$ For that boat is way to low, in my opinion.

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

Lower than what I came up with too.. Of course I didn't hit $6300 either:D

NADA is for ballpark.. The guy doing that is a jerk.. Dreams of boat ownership but all he has is bathtub toys..

EMC 1810SS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The guy doing that is a jerk.. Dreams of boat ownership but all he has is bathtub toys..

Based on a pissing match the other day, I am pretty sure it is a local boat dealer.

I didnt come up with 6300 but I sure did come up with well over 3700!

EMC 1810SS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I expect them to be over priced... You gotta remember it has the dreaded COBRA outdrive:rolleyes:.. I came up with around $4700

I mean I think the guy posting the NADA values is a Dealer........ Not the Person selling the boat.......

zagger

Petty Officer 2nd Class

His boat/his price - take it or leave it!. I hate these guys that will tell you what you should sell YOUR stuff for. Unless someone is taring to scam someone then mind your own business, thats what I think about stuff like that :eek:).

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

I mean I think the guy posting the NADA values is a Dealer........ Not the Person selling the boat.......

As if a dealer would sale a boat at NADA price... That even makes him more of a jerk.. They would try to sell it for 10k

wbc1957

Petty Officer 1st Class

"I have a winter cover, snap on cover, head/porta potty, tube, fish finder, bimini top, cb radio and all equipment safety to go along with it." This quote shows there are plenty of additional items over the standard NADA value anyway. Plus, the NADA doesn't include boat trailers, which is clearly evident in the craigslist ad. Apples versus oranges....

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

NADA doesn't include boat trailers,

Good point.. A good trailer with working brakes( do they put em on single axles?).. Whats that value? 1k or 2K.. That puts him in the money

Dang Columbus has a bunch of cool looking boats.. Priced better than here.. Is it cause of the weather??????

EMC 1810SS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I totally agree. This person has been doing this for a few weeks now on several boats. I thought maybe since I want my boat to be worth more than it is, I was being sensitive! :facepalm:

Also, if you can find a decent trailer with good tires and the brakes and lights work for less than 2k, please send the add to me. I cant find ANYTHING that is close to that cheap and isnt worse than the one I have.

Dang Columbus has a bunch of cool looking boats.. Priced better than here.. Is it cause of the weather??????

I would say so. It hasnt even started, check back in a month. They tend to stay nice here since its fresh water and the season is limited. Freeze day is not until May 15th (Official date of no freezing temps anymore) so most people dont go out until after mothers day just in case.

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

I went and looked... He is also doing it to a 20ft Maxium.. He is a jerk... Flag him

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like the guy posting the nada prices is an idiot. I've never seen nada be close in price for anything that I've ever bought or sold. Too many variables and too much price variation by region. If you don't want to buy it for the sellers price, then pass. I see a lot of overpriced boats for sale around here. I just pass on them and move on.

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

NADA is really a joke for boats since it only reports dealer sales. Boats are traded most frequently by private parties for whatever they are worth condition-wise. NADA on my boat carries an astric next to the value something akin to due to the low volume of reported sales, these figures may not be accurate.I'd never sell my boat as cheap as NADA suggests, and get sniffed all the time if I'd sell for a much higher figure. My boat isn't common, there's no real market history. It's not like a Ford with a million units built annually. So maybe in Bayliner land where they made a zillion of them the market value may mean something, but a boat is worth what it is condition and mechanically and whatever your local market will bear. NADA sucks for boats.

TilliamWe

Banned

I think it's a great service to newbies and the uneducated, to keep them from OVER PAYING for other people's junk. My favorite is people that list boats with Ford engines and Cobra outdrives for twice as much as NADA, and say int he add the boat has all new lower unit and such. Really? How can that be?
In regards to NADA, it is just a tool, but it is the tool that anyone's BANK is going to use. As far as you getting higher values when you run it, you cvould be adding on for "options" listed in NADA that were actually standard to that specific boat. or the guy posting the NADA figures could be leaving them out.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

There is not a bank in the state of Montana that uses NADA, not one. As the old saying goes, buyer beware, if you don't research the product you are considering and pay to much, you have no one to blame but your self.

TilliamWe

Banned

BTW, in NADA (the commercial version, not consumer) I got $5000 for the boat, with options (including $160 for the "CB radio" when it's probably got a 10 year old "was $100 new" VHF radio) and a trailer.
But considering that boat has an OMC 5.0, that could be a Ford 5.0 with definately a Cobra outdrive. That boat is "worth" $2000 tops, if it's perfect. Oh, and I would NEVER say that boat is big enough for Lake Erie. Seller is uneducated themselves, and they will NEVER sell it anywhere near their absurd asking price.

infideltarget

Master Chief Petty Officer

I think it's a great service to newbies and the uneducated, to keep them from OVER PAYING for other people's junk. My favorite is people that list boats with Ford engines and Cobra outdrives for twice as much as NADA, and say int he add the boat has all new lower unit and such. Really? How can that be?
QUOTE]

Hey...hey...now! my Ford engined Cobra outdriven 200H is worth every penny of $12k (to me) which is exactly twice what NADA says the average retail is with trailer. Especially after it comes out of the shop next month with its NEW 5.8L and its NEW Cobra outdrive (you see...they take these new parts, and install them into your completely refurbished gear cases, and put a warranty on the whole assembly, so therefore it is "new"). I can ask whatever price I want to ask when (if) I ever decide to sell it. If someone wants to "overpay" for it, then all the better for me. If they dont want to pay what I ask, then I wont sell it to them. Simple. If the bank will only loan 'X' dollars on it, and I am asking 'XX' for it, then the buyer better come up with the extra 'X' on his own. I could care less what the bank will loan on it. Just for arguments sake tho...some credit unions will loan RETAIL, as stated by KBB or NADA. Oh...and the insurance pay-out to the PO, after it was caught in the flood last year was just a few dollars shy of $7k. Guess they overpaid too, huh? They often do that sort of thing...you know...overpay, since they are not in the business of making money or anything like that. :rolleyes:

Pricing
Suggested List Price LowRetail Average Retail
Base Price: $20,619 $3,070 $3,420
Engine: 301-350 HP (5.7L - 8.1L ##) $1,450 $1,450
Options: (add options)

Bimini Top $155 $175
Depth Sounder $80 $90
Stereo - am/fm CD player w/4 speakers $160 $185
Swim Step - Fiberglass $110 $125
Swim Step w/Fold Down Ladder $125 $145
Trim Indicator $65 $75

See all options chosen

TOTAL PRICE $20,619 $5,215 $5,665

EMC 1810SS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oh, and I would NEVER say that boat is big enough for Lake Erie.

I have been to the Canadian line in less boat, and its a VERY good boat for Put In Bay and the islands.....

Seller is uneducated themselves, and they will NEVER sell it anywhere near their absurd asking price

I really dont think so, if the boat is solid, and runs well I think it is worth every penny around here. It really is the perfet size for the oportunitys in this area. Its small enough for the old Canal Lakes that are shallow, but it is big enough to do a weekend at the islands or in put in bay. In this area its a very desirable size.

Even that isnt my point. My point is that It isnt up to someone else to post a low ball price quoting a supposed athourity, and it not even be accurate to the quoted source.