New owner of a Starcraft '67 Caravel...(I think)

TundraRocks

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I picked this up out of a barn in an estate sale for $240.00. Came with a '68 55HP Johnson. Wasn't looking for the hydro-electric but it came with the boat. It looks to all be origianl (except the AM stereo may have been added later). The plate says its a 16' Caravel, just not sure of the year. It was registered as a '71, but from what I can find in the brochures it looks to be a '67. Not many of them on Iboats either...Tends to be an overwhelming majority of aluminum making a presence.
IMG_3632-1.jpg

IMG_3641.jpg

IMG_3634.jpg

IMG_3635.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: New owner of a Starcraft '67 Caravel...(I think)

Welcome! Certainly looks like a worthy project you've got there. Will probably shine up pretty nice. If the electric shift is functioning, that Johnson should be a good motor for it.

TheWrks

Petty Officer 1st Class

Cool find and Welcome....

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer

Welcome aboard. Good to have another from the state here, even if you are from the southern part. Looks like a fun old boat. Hows the decking and transom? From what I can see the hull looks to be in great shape. Finding used parts for those old Johnsons is a pain. I just got rid of a 69 about 5 years ago. Had to get a lot of parts from a wrecking yard out of Florida, forget the name at the moment. They send me e-mails every so often, or used to.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Finding used parts for those old Johnsons is a pain. I just got rid of a 69 about 5 years ago. Had to get a lot of parts from a wrecking yard out of Florida

That's weird. I was under the impression that the powerhead parts were still pretty much available. When I had my '73 Johnson it looked like I could still get just about every part on it.

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer

I've used the same boat shop for 40 years, he's always known what he's talked about. He used a wrecking yard in Seattle, and I used the one in Florida. You could get the small parts, but had trouble finding heads and stuff. When did the motors change, I'm not sure but my Seloc repair manual says 56 to 70, that may explain it.

KellyC

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Welcome aboard Tundra, I am from Boise as well. Have lived here for 5 years and before that I was in Boise for 12 years or so. You will have fun with that when you get her going.

TundraRocks

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Welcome aboard. Good to have another from the state here, even if you are from the southern part. Looks like a fun old boat. Hows the decking and transom? From what I can see the hull looks to be in great shape.

Thanks...The appears to be fairly good shape. Most of the floor is solid. There may be a couple of softer spots (A project soon to come, this winter maybe...) The hull - There are a few chips in the gelcoat non of which appeared to penetrate the fiberglass. Do you think some 3m filler, then some gelcoat should work? Here are a couple of photos:
IMG_3654.jpg

IMG_3655.jpg

I'm most concered with these last two:
IMG_3652.jpg

IMG_3651.jpg

TundraRocks

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Welcome! Certainly looks like a worthy project you've got there. Will probably shine up pretty nice. If the electric shift is functioning, that Johnson should be a good motor for it.

I have the motor being checked out on Thursday. I'll post the results.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I'm sure some MarineTex or 3M filler would take care of those chips just fine.

TundraRocks

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks all for you help with the patching info. It has been a while so though I would update. There was however a much bigger problem that I was unaware of with this boat. As I began the process of tearing out the front kick board, I happened upon a nesting ground for mice, and a brand new prop...This boat was reccomended to me and so I had it delivered without looking at it (last time that will happen). Upon further inspection found the engine was also a nesting place for mice, you could not see the engine through the nests. I also found that there was about 25 gallons of water trapped under the floor with no apparent escape. The water had at least been there for 7-10 years. Listed the boat on craigslist and sold it in 2 minutes. I still have the new prop. I have since been looing for an aluminum SS :)... I have found one (1975 16' SS) and will be picking it up a week from Friday. Pictures and new thread soon to come.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I have since been looing for an aluminum SS :)... I have found one (1975 16' SS) and will be picking it up a week from Friday.

Yaaaaaaaahahhhhhhhhhh baby!:D:D

Good move tundra, good move.

Clearly you are an intelligent, charismatic and good looking man;):)

lakelover

Rear Admiral

That's the way to turn 'em over! Looking forward to your new project.

Jayb123

Chief Petty Officer

Thats cool I like the hot-rod styling (I guess if there is one) of the older boats like that. congrats and good luck Tundra.
I wanna see the SC SS too :D

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Good luck with the tinnie!!!!

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer

We'll be lookin forward to the pics. You'll be a lot happier with a tinnie anyway. Aluminum is a lot easier to work with and more forgiving also.