pedestals, post, spiders, and maybe a sticky or a FAQ

Lewis

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all,
I have searched, but can't a definitive thread about seating, particularly pedestal seating. I've found lots of information, but also lots of gaps. It seems like a lot of people are asking similar questions about which pedestal/base/spider arrangements are rated for drivers, which are rated for passengers under way, what heights work best, etc. Does anybody feel up to the job of addressing the topic? Maybe with a FAQ? The particular questions I have (and others seem to have) are:
What pedestal/spider combinations are rated for a passenger under way, but also are moveable from one base to another?
What base/pedestal/spider combinations are rated for drivers and are adjustable height?
What does a description that says "meets ABYC standards" mean? Aren't there a bunch of different standards for drivers, passengers, < 5MPH, >5MPH, etc.?
TIA,
Lewis

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Re: pedestals, post, spiders, and maybe a sticky or a FAQ

Aren't there a bunch of different standards for drivers, passengers, < 5MPH, >5MPH, etc.?
TIA,
Lewis

No, there aren't.

You should say more about what kind of boat you have and what kind of seating you want.

My 21' Pro-Line w/a cuddy was fitted with a simple pair of molded, padded seats on fixed pedestals. Both were equipped with a fore/aft adjustable spider. You'll find that most fixed pedestals are the same length, and those that provide height adjustment are pretty clearly advertised (and more expensive).

My .02

Lewis

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks! Some pedestals and mounts are rated Class AO for operators at speeds over 5 MPH, some are mostly similar but are rated AN for non-operators at speeds over 5 MPH. Others are rated Class B and only spec'ed for speeds below 5 MPH. When you add to that removable pedestals and fixed pedestals, adjustable heights and fixed heights, spiders and sliders, etc., it gets to be (for me at least) a pretty dizzying array of choices.
Lewis

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Well, you told me some stuff I didn't know. If what you say is true, who the hell would spend any money to put a Class B seat on a boat? At the same time, you gave no feedback about your boat or what type of seating you want to put in it. Break it down to a simple decision tree...

Do you need an operators' seat, a non-operator's seat, or both? You can certainly use operator's seats in any position on the deck.

Pedestal type, back to back, a combination of the two?

Do you want to be able to adjust them fore and aft (yes/no). That option is handy on the pilot's seat. Pull it in when seated, push it back when standing.

Do you want height adjustment (yes/no). Or you significantly shorter or taller than the average boater (5' 9" I think)?

Can the seats stay in place or do they need to be removable?

If you're starting from scratch, draw an aerial view of your deck and figure out what works best, where.

My .02

donzi gt230

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Keep in mind that if you're significantly heavier than average, a seat's generic rating for operator at speed may not handle the weight in rough water. Also factor in the deck strength and quality of installation.

fishrdan

Admiral

Go to Springfield Marine and check out the ratings on their different peices of hardware. ABYC ratings cover many things in a boat, just not seating. HERE is the AD, AP B seat hardware ratings. Once you read the ratings, selecting hardware is a bit easier as you understand what will work and won't work.

Pedistal/seat height i really determined by the boat and person, it's not a 1 size fits all type of thing.

Lewis

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all the input. I was a little skimpy with the details because I'm just starting on re-purposing a "fish and ski" type rig into a "mostly fish" type rig. As a result, I really only have a general idea of seat placement. I do want pedestal seat systems, because lounge and jump seats take too much valuable floor and fishing space. I also want the flexibility to move seats around, so I am thinking I need AO or AN set-ups that are moveable. Type B are cheaper, but then I still need type ANs for passengers and one AO for me. After some research, and seeing what's available on eBay, I am going with these posts: http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/product/Power-Pedestals--Adjustable-Height, the square bases here: http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/product/238-Series-Socket-Bases, and these spiders: http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/product/238-seat-mounts. All parts AO, and feedback seems to be that the posts are pretty easy to pull and move from base to base. I'll use five bases and three posts with seats: three bases configured for running, plus another base on the bow platform and the fifth on the stern platform (assuming I have a stern platform...). That's the plan as I see it now. The boat is right now just stringers and foam, but that's another thread I'll be starting when I get some pictures ready.
Lewis
P.S. Here's the thread I started on the boat rebuild: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=472568&p=3196934#post3196934.