HumminBird 798ci HD Side IMaging Transducer Mount Location

shawnn82

Seaman
stern left.jpgstern 1.jpg

Any suggestions on where to mount the transducer? The instructions say it needs to be 15" away from prop with 180 degree clearance from either side of the transducer. Clearly, the drive comes in the way. What would you do?

John_S

Rear Admiral
Re: HumminBird 798ci HD Side IMaging Transducer Mount Location

View attachment 90710View attachment 90709

Any suggestions on where to mount the transducer? The instructions say it needs to be 15" away from prop with 180 degree clearance from either side of the transducer. Clearly, the drive comes in the way. What would you do?

Given that hull/drive, you are going to have to sacrifice SI on port or starboard. If you mount it between the foam pad and the drive, you might get some image, but it will be darker. Between the foam pad and the outter tab, I think the other side will be mainly dark. If you tend to put around the lake in clockwise rotation, mount on port side. If counter-clockwise, then starboard. This would be for generally deeper lakes where you are try to scan between boat and shoreline.

To get good image on both sides, it will require a second SI transducer and a splitter cable. Mount them between foam pad and outer tab. In all cases use a transducer mounting board or king starboard, so you can make position changes without drilling additional holes in transom.

shawnn82

Seaman

Ok so i guess ill get me another transducer and set it up inbetween foam pad and tabs. Im new to all this (i.e. being a first time boat owner) so if you donnt mind me asking what is a king starboard and how would i install it? Im assumin its something u glue to the transom? how do u move it around or is it big enough to allow the transducer to be mounted in different locations on its wide enough surface area?

Bummer! I had capped my budget at $500 for a good chartplotter / fishfinder. Ended up gettin the 798ci HDSI. Now another transducer. ALl this better make up for its worth in Grouper and King Fish! lol

John_S

Rear Admiral

Ok so i guess ill get me another transducer and set it up inbetween foam pad and tabs. Im new to all this (i.e. being a first time boat owner) so if you donnt mind me asking what is a king starboard and how would i install it? Im assumin its something u glue to the transom? how do u move it around or is it big enough to allow the transducer to be mounted in different locations on its wide enough surface area?

Bummer! I had capped my budget at $500 for a good chartplotter / fishfinder. Ended up gettin the 798ci HDSI. Now another transducer. ALl this better make up for its worth in Grouper and King Fish! lol

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Boating/Boating-Electronics/Sonar-Accessories%7C/pc/104794380/c/104707080/sc/104587380/Cabelas-Transducer-Mounting-Plates/701430.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fboating-boating-electronics-sonar-accessories%2F_%2FN-1100523%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104587380%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104794380%253Bcat104707080&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104794380%3Bcat104707080%3Bcat104587380

s7_020106_999_02

The splitter cable you need:
http://store.humminbird.com/products/323033/AS_SILR_Y

shawnn82

Seaman

Thank you! This was real helpful! just ordered all that stuff! Does the transducer get screwed onto the mount or glued?

John_S

Rear Admiral

Thank you! This was real helpful! just ordered all that stuff! Does the transducer get screwed onto the mount or glued?

It screws into the mount and you just make sure the screws are not too long that they would go all the way through it. Glueing that lage SI transducer is not a good idea.