97 honda 8 hp 4 stroke Impeller Question

dlaxdal

Seaman
Does anyone know of a link that shows the changing of an impeller on a honda. I did one on my 175 Mariner which was not to hard. I keep reading about the linkage and would like a visual of it thx.

isaksp00

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 97 honda 8 hp 4 stroke Impeller Question

I did my roughly '94 BF8A and it was not hard. I had the factory service manual. Try the sites that show parts ordering diagrams, like boats.net.

This link shows the extension case, including the shift rod:
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/H..., VIN# BACS-1200001/EXTENSION CASE/parts.html

This one shows the way the sgifter handle attaches to the shift rod:
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/H...JPN, VIN# BACS-1200001/SHIFT SHAFT/parts.html

I removed the clevis pin that attaches the top of the shifter rod (the "shift rod joint") to the gearshift arm. I did not try to unscrew the shift rod joint from the top of the arm, which you would need to do to remove the lower unit all the way (it isn't easy to get a tool in there to unscrew it). I just removed the 5 bolts that hold the lower unit to the leg and pulled the LU down about 6 inches or so, as far as the shift arm would go (don't pull so hard that the shift arm comes out of the prop shaft area). That exposed the LU enough to easily unbolt the top of the impeller cover, etc. Poke around in the various assembly sections of the ordering site to see other explosions of the impeller assbly. I needed to order the impeller and the two gaskets; the old ones were pretty well glued to the metal and I had to use a razor scraper and solvent to clean them off. I did not buy a new housing, though many folks recommend that (mine seemed to have no visible wear). It is a bit tricky to reattach the LU, as you have to get the top of the driveshaft into the crankshaft fitting while making sure the water feed tube also attaches to its mate - not really hard, just pay attention to the water tube as you reinsert.