need some assistance...

USCFisher

Cadet
i have a 1982 Evinrude 25hp with electric start. i replaced the starter and when i was reinstalling it i realized that one screw was missing. on the port side of the motor, it's the upper screw that goes into the manifold. it's part number 0307471 but i do not know what the actual size is. does anyone know the dimensions of said screw? i would appreciate any help.

ONERCBOATER

Chief Petty Officer
Re: need some assistance...

is there another near it that looks the same that you can remove, test, and then use to go get the one you need? and have you looked very carefully under the powerhead for the screw? you might be surprised by where they can hide.

Sean

USCFisher

Cadet

is there another near it that looks the same that you can remove, test, and then use to go get the one you need? and have you looked very carefully under the powerhead for the screw? you might be surprised by where they can hide.

Sean

I've tried several others but they are either slightly too big or slightly too small. the threads do not seem stripped so it appears to be a different size screw than the other ones. and yes, i've looked for the old one...i have a feeling it was gone when i bought the motor and didn't realize it until i went to install the new starter.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

If you can't find a dealer near you to buy the part, which would be your easiest option, here is a "where-used" list for that part. You or someone you know may have one of the motors listed that you could check.

http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/brp/B-0307471.html

I have an 8HP E/rude which is on the list and uses 6 of them to hold on the exhaust cover. Since it is a gasketed/sealed plate I don't want to pull one of the bolts, but it fits a 3/8" socket and the length appears to be 1-3/8".

So it pretty much has to be a 1/4-20UNC x 1-3/8" or 1/4-28UNF x 1-3/8". If you have a decent fastener store in the area, get one of each and see which works.

USCFisher

Cadet

Thanks for the help, it was a 1/4" screw and i found one at Home Depot that works just fine.