Fuel/water separating filter

captmello

Captain
Is everyone using a fuel water separating filter on their outboard fuel system? I've got a built in tank on my toon and no water separating filter.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Fuel/water separating filter

If you are burning E10 you need a water separating fuel filter, captmello.

Good luck. :)

captmello

Captain

Thanks JB, going filter shopping today.:)

As far as installation, do I just cut into the supply coming from the tank to the primer Bulb?

robert graham

Admiral

The Walmart/Atwood unit sells for $27, very easy 2 screw installation, just mount on transom or somewhere you can get to it to change the cartridge. Just measure carefully and cut into fuel lines, attach to barbs with clamps, rig it so the steering movement of your motor doesn't kink or rub on fuel lines. I have mine mounted between the tank/primer bulb and the motor, but I understand some folks mount between the tank and the primer bulb...must work either way. I've been unscrewing my cartridge, dump it out, screw it back on for a couple of years now and it works fine, but would all depend on how much water/debris is in your fuel tank. These filters are the best preventive maintenance item yet. Carry a spare cartridge in your boat for when you need it. Good Luck!

M

Maxz695

Thanks for the info i,m gonna get one of them for my inboard tank I don,t seem to have problems with water but better to be safe than sorry