Mechanical fuel pump to electric pump

mikel1291979

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am replacing my 4.3 and it looks like the block I will be getting doesn't have the hole for a mechanical fuel pump. I don't have a problem with going electric, but Im not sure what kind of psi I need to be looking for in a pump. Again its a 4.3 merc with a 2 barrel carb.
Also how do I need to wire this? Is it just wiring it up for power, or does it need to be connected to something else as well? If its just for power I plan on hooking it to a switch so I can turn off the fuel pump in the event of an emergency. Thanks

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mechanical fuel pump to electric pump

You said you plan on hooking it to a switch so you can turn it off in an emergency. That is is not a safety feature because in the the event of a catastrophic failure you will NOT remember to turn it off. Besides a second switch is not necessary since it would be wired through the ignition switch. And yes -- the pump needs to be wired through the an oil pressure switch. That performs the safety function. This topic is discussed in detail many times on this forum and iin the outboard forums. No oil pressure the pump is killed.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Mechanical fuel pump to electric pump

but Im not sure what kind of psi I need to be looking for in a pump. Again its a 4.3 merc with a 2 barrel carb.

Ayuh,... 5psi, wired through an oil pressure switch as outlined by Silvertip......