what is your routine getting off the water.

mattdd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i just upgraded from my older alum bass boat. after getting it off the ramp i pretty much just made sure it was strapped down well, drove home and parked it. my new one is a nicer alum bass boat which is painted exterior and the interior is much nicer. it occurred to me that it might require more clean up to keep it in good shape so i thought i'd see what others do. if the old one got dirty i just power washed it...in and out.

not enuf toys

Chief Petty Officer
Re: what is your routine getting off the water.

it is easier to keep the grime off the boat if you wipe the boat down while wet (after pulling off the ramp). dry and hardened grime requires twice the work!

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

I have a glass boat but I guess the routine would be similar....

Starts with a good wax, I wax my boat once a month but I could do it less I suppose but for me its kind of therapy(I have three daughters) so....

I absolutely wipe my boat down right out of the water, wife gets the inside wiped down and gives any trash to the kids to dispose of NOBODY TOUCHES THE GLASS BUT ME!! LOL I use Ducky's wipe down, I may use a bit of the Ducky's brand cleaner should I get into something difficult but like not enuf toys said its just easier to wipe it down after I take it out of the water, I take the boat home without the cover on to help it dry out and then I normally cover it up completely at home. Wednesdays are boat wash day along with the Cummins, if I wind up washing the dodge I will wash the boat also, its just me I love washing my toys, wife thinks I have a mental issue....

Looks like I am about to get started for the year also!! WOOOHOOOO

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

A good tip I learned on this forum I keep spray bottle with a mix of about 1/3 vinager 2/3 water[or so] When i pull the boat out and its still wet, I walk around and mist the exterior with the mix and then towel it off... Greatly reduces water spots

boaterinsd

Petty Officer 1st Class

A good tip I learned on this forum I keep spray bottle with a mix of about 1/3 vinager 2/3 water[or so] When i pull the boat out and its still wet, I walk around and mist the exterior with the mix and then towel it off... Greatly reduces water spots

Didnt know this, thanks

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

WHITE vinegar, I planned on trying this as well

204 Escape

Ensign

I actually spray down my stern drive with the white vinegar/water mix. I was told that it will help keep the black paint from turning that gray color. :confused:

We also use hunting walkie talkies for backing the boat in and when we back the trailer in to leave. Saves yelling back and forth, and no-one gets a ramp show ! ;)

Jake007

Seaman

I run in salt water allot. Sometimes I will use one of those soft brush on a telescoping pole and give her a quick wipe at the ramp parking lot but usually only if I see some heavy grime spot. As soon as I get home we empty everything and run the engine on a hose to rinse out the salt water. Then I was the boat with a good boat wash. One person on the interior and one exterior and we are done in no time. Then into the pool to relax..... I let her sit uncovered for an hour or so and then cover and move to the storage lot. My boat is 12 yrs old and still looks great. It is all about the care you give it. I should wax more often (only waxing once per year) so when I do, it usually takes a little longer due to oxidation that needs to be removed.

SigSaurP229

Commander

When on the pontoon wipe the seats down and vaccuum the carpet, but we keep it slipped in the summer. Twice a month the interior gets fully armor alled. The ski boat I clean the trash out of it. Trailer it home vaccuum it out and wipe it off, all though I just reupholstered all of the seats so I will be MUCH more stringent about it now as well. I vaccuum it once a month.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I strap it on the trailer, do my usual shut down stuff like taking everything out the boat that would fly out on the way home, shut the gas tank vents, etc. When I get home I pressure wash the outside if it needs it and vacuum out the inside if needed. I usually give it a good serious interior/exterior cleaning a couple times a year.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

routine: run the motor on muffs; hose the inside and outside and trailer wheels; park it. If it's real muddy from duck hunting I might use a pressure washer. If you don't have one, roll through the car wash and use the pressure washer there.

on the nicer boat, when it needs it, I wash with a scrub brush and water/dish soap/chlorox. Wax annually.

I have no carpet or permanent uphostelry. Low maintainance= more time boating.

TestEngr

Seaman Apprentice

We also use hunting walkie talkies for backing the boat in and when we back the trailer in to leave. Saves yelling back and forth, and no-one gets a ramp show ! ;)

Never heard of doing this, but thinking about it it doesn't sound like a bad idea. Thanks for the tip!

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I've got no problem with wiping it down right after taking it out, just PLEASE don't do it on the ramp. Seriously, I watched this happen twice last season - both times there was a line. Serious WTF moments.

For me, I wait till I'm home as I can turn on the tunes, crack a beer, and give the boat a good cleaning inside and out. It's definitely easier to clean after a day on the water than before the next day on the water.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I agree w/ Jon about not doing this if you block the ramp even for 10 seconds.

As for flushing, it is my opinion that if you can't flush within several minutes--say 30--of hauling the boat, it does little good. All the salt has dried against the hot motor surfaces by that time. It may help get the silt out of the lower parts of the the pump system, though, and salt off the impeller.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

+3 please get out of the way to wipe down and keep the ramp clear!!

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Matt, since you're in Missouri you don't have to worry about flushing your outboard. That's only for the salty dogs. The nice thing about aluminum boats is they're lower maintenance than them there fancy glass rigs.;) You might hose off the hull so you don't end up with a scum line. When the upholstery needs sprucing up you'll be amazed at what an old rag and a spray bottle filled with good old H2O can accomplish. Just keep those high tech cleaning items in your rig, that way you can wipe down whenever it's convenient. For tough stains there are various marine upholstery cleaners available pretty much anywhere boating products are sold. For really tough stains use Magic Erasers. They're expensive and don't last that long, but they are very effective. There are different types of marine upholstery conditioners that will keep your interior looking nice and help it last longer. Be sure the one you choose is designed for boats. The use of Armor All type products on boat upholstery is not recommended.:cool:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

The best defense is a good offense. There is nothing to clean if nothing can stick to it.

My boat gets 2 coats of Collinite wax on the hull and Woody wax on the decks in the spring. After that, nothing but non-detergent soap and water touches the boat the rest of the year.

On the way back to port we use the raw water washdown to hose out any blood, dirt, etc in the cockpit. When I get home, a freshwater rinse is all that is normally needed. Stubborn spots may require the use of a soft bristle deck brush.

trejac

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I heard this from a guy who owns a ski school. He says he uses 1/3 vinager solution every day after he pulls his boat out of the water. I tried it tonight and it worked really well on my black paint.

mjgates

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Pull completely out of the way of any ramp traffic coming in or out. Pull the plug. Wipe her down good outside. Much less elbow grease than doing it later. Strap the rear pad so it's not flopping on the ride home. Make sure straps are nice and tight. Check trailer lights and head home to do the inside. Like someone said earlier, I don't cover until I am home so it has a chance to dry out.