1992 OMC Ford 302 Cracked Block

300sflyer

Chief Petty Officer
A friend of mine did not winterize his boat properly, and now has a cracked block with water running out of the block itself, and water now in the oil. His block is obviously toast. The Cobra drive is fine.

With OMC being long gone, what are the options available for replacing the motor? Will it likely need new exhaust manifolds as well?

Thanks.

wifisher

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1992 OMC Ford 302 Cracked Block

OMC is gone, but ford 302 blocks are pretty easy to find. There are a few companies that sell rebuilt marine engines. Yes, it will probably need manifolds.

300sflyer

Chief Petty Officer

I am wondering about a new truck longblock right from Ford. I assume the none marine parts like frost plugs, and head gaskets would need to be changed?

Bondo

Staff member

I am wondering about a new truck longblock right from Ford. I assume the none marine parts like frost plugs, and head gaskets would need to be changed?

Ayuh,... I'm thinkin' the 302 is outa production these days...

wifisher

Chief Petty Officer

I think you would have to replace a lot of parts to use the auto motor. Why not just buy a long block from a rebuilder that does them specifically for marine use?

300sflyer

Chief Petty Officer

You are correct... My local Ford dealer confirmed they are no longer available.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

OMC is gone, but ford 302 blocks are pretty easy to find. There are a few companies that sell rebuilt marine engines. Yes, it will probably need manifolds.

Yes, it will ABSOLUTELY need new manifolds and maybe risers! You do not want to put questionable manifolds and risers on a "new" engine that you just spend $2000 on!

Unless you're going to put a "pickup" engine in it you can easily find machine shops that will rebuild/sell you a good 302.

Here's one........... http://usengine.us/omc.html

It might be good to try to find an engine rebuilder near you so you can save on shipping.

There is another option here too if your friend want's to make the 'BIG" change.

That would be to find a complete Mercruiser engine/drive combination out of a damaged boat and swap the whole mess.

If the drive is in good condx, it's worth a fair amount of money. (I sold all of my OMC "stuff" piece by piece, over 2 or 3 years on Ebay, Craigslist etc for a total of about $3500........I paid $5000 for a complete 454/Bravo set-up)

Just another option.......

Bifflefan

Commander

Don't confuse Ford and Chevy. Fords did not use a different block for cars and trucks like Chevy did. As for the "core plugs", they are the same. Any good head gasket is fine (not mixing alum and iron).
Also as we race ford engines, they are as easy as you think to find. You can buy new ones from a lot of places, but they do cost a shinny penny. I would look on the web and at salvage yards for a complete one. Then get that gone through. That is no different than finding a bare block, as you will not be reusing any of the pistons, cam, and lifters anyway. Then have a good machine shop go through it and drop it in.
Best of luck on the manifolds also.
I bet your friend will do it right next time.