25 HP 1982 Johnson water pump question.

rscholar

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm installing a water pump kit on my 25 HP Johnson. After getting the kit, I noticed the drive shaft seals were bad too, so I ordered a pair...still waiting delivery. My question is, when I dropped the lower unit (long shaft), I didn't pay attention to where the "copper" water tube came out of. Is there some type of fitting that it has to go in, when I reinstall the lower unit? Lower unit slid out very easy, so was wondering if I just put it back the way I pulled it out? I think there is a tube (about an inch around) that it came out of? Anything above that, that I need to worry about?

Thanks!:confused:

mark1961

Ensign
Re: 25 HP 1982 Johnson water pump question.

The water tube needs to be aligned with the other hole in the pump housing (behind the driveshaft) when you are sliding the lower unit back in place. There will be a new water tube grommet in the kit which creates a seal between the tube and housing, make sure you use it, a bit of rubber grease or vaseline will help out here. The water tube delivers water from the pump to the powerhead to cool it so its important you reassemble it properly.

rscholar

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I got what you wrote, pump housing, new grommet, but is there anything the copper tube has to slide in up to the power head, or doesn't it make a difference? I mean does the tube just pump water to the head, doesn't have to go into anything up there (the head)?

rscholar

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I want to clarify, does the copper tube connect to "anything" up in the lower unit?

mark1961

Ensign

I got what you wrote, pump housing, new grommet, but is there anything the copper tube has to slide in up to the power head, or doesn't it make a difference? I mean does the tube just pump water to the head, doesn't have to go into anything up there (the head)?

The "water tube" is the copper tube you refer to.....and yes it needs to be aligned as i previously stated.....bottom end in the pump with grommet.

Is the water tube still attached to the powerhead?

rscholar

Petty Officer 3rd Class

No, the water tube is not attached to the powerhead. It is in the new water pump attached w/grommet. It came out when I lowered the lower unit. Does is need to be connected to anything up in the powerhead, or just shove it back up from whence it came? :)

mark1961

Ensign

No, the water tube is not attached to the powerhead. It is in the new water pump attached w/grommet. It came out when I lowered the lower unit. Does is need to be connected to anything up in the powerhead, or just shove it back up from whence it came? :)

Gotcha.....you need to remove it from the lower unit (leave the grommet on the housing) and install the top in the powerhead first, there will be a specific hole in the base of the powerhead it needs to go back into, it should be obvious which one if look up there with torch.

rscholar

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks, but I'll use a "flashlight" instead of a torch, I might burn something. :) Sorry, had to get that in (Aussie term for flashlight [torch]). Will let you know how I do..... #9 on the parts list shows that it is the "water tube guide." That is the 1" tube I referred to earlier...guess I should have looked a bit closer, because that is where that water tube goes in. :rolleyes:

rscholar

Petty Officer 3rd Class

After getting a very long LED (torch) flashlight, I found where the water tube hooked up to the powerhead. Reassembled everything (water pump), installed a new hydrofoil on the ole gal, and had a truly enjoyable Easter day on the lake. Thanks everybody for all the help, and I hope this summer is without anymore motor problems. :)