HELP!!! Trailer Registration in Illinois

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viper412

Cadet
OK guy's, I just picked up a 1976 19' Steury X180 with a 200 h.p. Evinrude outboard boat from a private party, (boat is in very nice shape). Now I have the title for the boat but not the trailer the trailer has a tag on it but very hard to read, the mfg. is Holsclaw???? but any numbers are worn out. I was told that the guy I got the boat from had to do a lost title search and get it that way, However he never had to Register it because it was Wis. where you don't need to register the trailer nor did the guy he got it from because he lived in Wis. as well. So now I'm in Illinois with a title for the boat That I'm in the process of registering, I just sent in the check to pay the taxes, and now I can't get it to the water. So What Do I Do Now??? (Strap it to the roof of my car????) I also figured I can do a homemade trailer Title because of the Vin issue but they ask for pictures and there is no way this is "homemade". Thanks in advance for your help!!!!
Wally

Attachments

• wally's phone pictures 182.jpg
    wally's phone pictures 182.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat pic 2nd batch 025resize.JPG
    Boat pic 2nd batch 025resize.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 0

jzellers

Cadet
Re: HELP!!! Trailer Registration in Illinois

If a title wasn't required in Wi, then you still should be able to title it here with the bill of sale. I did something similar with my Waverunner when I bought it from someone in Mi. They didn't title the trailer, but they did plate it. so the DMV went off of that and I was able to get it titled. Call your local DMV and ask them what you need to do.

The homemade thing used to work in situations like this but it was also very easy for someone to steal a brand new trailer and title/register it for themselves just by signing an afidavit swearing it was homemade.

Viper412

Cadet

Thanks but they told me i need the title and the only one that can do a "LOST" title is the last owner. It just drives me me nuts that they are worred about something like this and can't even get people who know what they are talking about from one office to the next!
But Thanks!

DoGood

Seaman Apprentice

register it in maine through http://www.mbi-trailers.com/

i dont understand why states make it so difficult to register trailers, they're losing out on revenue.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

I too have been told that Illinios has cracked down on "homebuilt" over the past couple years.
I live in Wis, have 3 trailers and only one has a title and that is from Illinios.

stickerhard

Seaman Apprentice

I too bought a boat that was from Wisc. and I live in IL....... You will need that vin # off the trailer or you wont have any luck believe me. If you can see some # on the tounge or side of the trailer. The home made trailer deal wont work unless you take the trailer to a dmv office and they have to check it all out now before that will work. Good luck

'78 Crusader

Chief Petty Officer

It just drives me me nuts that they are worred about something like this and can't even get people who know what they are talking about from one office to the next!
But Thanks!

Typical Government workers......

Viper412

Cadet

Well I'm going to try to get the vin off the trailer "IF" I get the vin can I then get a Title and plates for the boat? or do you think they are going to tell me that the lasat owner has to do that. If that is the case I'm lost and have no clue where to go from here!............................

Viper412

Cadet

I too bought a boat that was from Wisc. and I live in IL....... You will need that vin # off the trailer or you wont have any luck believe me. If you can see some # on the tounge or side of the trailer. The home made trailer deal wont work unless you take the trailer to a dmv office and they have to check it all out now before that will work. Good luck

Just shows you how stupid this is, If you drive down to the DNV with the trailer you run a chance of getting a ticket for no plates not to say that with no inspection you have someone towing a possiable unsafe trailer on a public road just so you can get a title THANK ILLINOIS YOU GO THROUGH LESS PAPERWORK WHEN YOU LET SOMEONE OUT OF JAIL THAT WAS ON DEATH ROW!!!!!!!

'78 Crusader

Chief Petty Officer

If you don't have any of the information needed....register it as a home made. Here's a quote.

Homemade Trailers...

If the trailer has been previously registered, we need only a copy of that registration and a check for the number of years you wish to register the trailer.
If the trailer has not been previously registered, we need a typed formal statement from you that has the following in it:
Date built
Dimensions: length, width and height
Weight
GVW (trailer weight plus load it can carry)
Type of trailer (utility, landscape, boat, etc.)
VIN number (call us if VIN not available)

jopes

Petty Officer 1st Class

I went through a similar thing when I bought my boat out of state. boat paper work was a breeze, the trailer had no title or registration on it. a bill of sale was no good unless it was noterized. took over a month to get a noterized bill of sale from the seller. Then I applied for a vin, stamped the trailer then got a vin inspection at DMV to get it titled and registered. this was in Wyoming.

I just think all states are cracking down on this sort of stuff.

DoGood

Seaman Apprentice

Do youthink this would work? and is it legal?

yes it is legal, as long as you legally own the trailer. Small and/or old trailers didn't require titles in many states. Give them a call and I'm sure they will help you out.

I registered a "homebuilt" trailer with them. Only needed to write a letter saying I built it and a short description of the trailer.

last930

Cadet

I'm going through the same thing in Illinois as Viper and it is an expensive pain. It will ultimately cost me more to get the trailer title than I paid for the boat AND trailer combined.

garzilla

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Illinois SUCKS for trailers!!!

Trailer I bought had a signed title by a guy that never transferred it....I was hosed....search my posts and you'll find the long drawn out story.

What I did, is got a good trailer with a title (home made) from the wifes aunt...and transferred that title.
Tore off the vin plate from my original trailer....Is it right, no....do I give a frig....no.

All I could do though in this lousy state.

I did a lot to this trailer though, and it actually does look homemade now. LOL.

garzilla

Petty Officer 2nd Class

register it in maine through http://www.mbi-trailers.com/

i dont understand why states make it so difficult to register trailers, they're losing out on revenue.

That's probably why I see so many semi trailers with Maine plates??
Definitely seems like a good way to go though.

Viper412

Cadet

Very cool, I checked it out and talked to the guys on the phone and e-mails, guess what IT'S LEGAL and It is only costing me $90 for 5 years, they were very helpful and told me step by step how to get it done and it's so simple no B.S. all they needed is a bill of sale for the trailer with the year, make, model, and serial number (if you don't have a serial number you can give them a number you wish and thay will register it under that number but you must stamp that number on the trailer to make it legal) and the price you paid for the trailer and that is it,.... well and of course the fee, send it to them and in a couple weeks BINGO you have your plates and it is registered. THANKS DoGood for your post you rock!!!!!! Your right Illinois IS losing a TON of revenue when you could go to another state and get it done without a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.